Slide failure. My worst RV nightmare

SeattleLion

We brought our 3160EL back from the dealer where 26 quality problems were corrected. We parked it in our side yard for the winter. I needed to get our DirecTV receivers out of the trailer to use in the house. I opened the slides. When I went to close the bedroom slide, it made a loud noise so I stopped went to look. Only one side was pulling in. I opened the slide and tried again. Same result. So I opened it and left it open. I called my dealer and Heartland customer service. The dealer will be out next week to fix and pull it back for permanent repairs.

This problem is my worst nightmare. What would have happened if I were at a state park for the weekend and this happened on Sunday when I had to leave? Obviously, I would be in big trouble. The one problem I can't afford to have is slide failure. One of the main reasons we upgraded to a luxury fifth wheel was to get the build quality to assure we would never have this problem.

We have only taken 8 trips with the trailer. It is very discouraging to have this problem.

scottyb

Sorry you had to go through this. I think this is one of the things always in the back of my mind and probably others too. Maybe it was just an anomaly and once the repair is made, you won't ever have this problem again. It doesn't seem to be a problem that is reported too often.

donr827

Could something have fallen against the slide, like a broom etc, and jammed against the slide. Just a thought...............Don

sjs731

My DW left the cutting board stove cover lean against the wall next to our living room slide. She ran the slides in and we headed home. When we got home she went to open the rig and the living room slide wouldn't move but she didn't let go of the button too quick either. Maybe it didn't move on the inside but outside I had bent plates and a broken weld on the end of the slide arms. I needed some time to myself and then I got to work fixing the bent skirting and having the end plates straightened and the welds fixed by one of our welders at work. It is safe to say that the cutting board now goes under the couch when it comes off the stove.

Steve

mobilcastle

It has often crossed my mind. We both look before any slides get closed. Make sure not to put anything near the slide trim that can fall into the way of the side trim. If you do make absolutely sure it is secure.

wdk450

There are two types of slide power: electric and electric/hydraulic. On my electric/hydraulic slides the hydraulic ram is not at the center of the slide, but near one slide support rail. Mechanical movement is transferred to the other end rail of the slide by a toothed gear rack which rides against a gear with a shaft to the other end rail of the slide with a similar gear and toothed gear rack. If you have this system, a gear may have come off of the rack, or a bolt in the center of the connecting rod, or a gear connecting bolt may have sheared.

A well prepared RVer with slides carries ratchet strap come alongs just in case of slide failure, like these: http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...10-ft-ratcheting-tie-down-set-of-4-61303.html . There are also electric drill adapters that fit into the hydraulic pump or the electric motor drive to pull in the slides that way, if possible.

VMooreSR

We brought our 3160EL back from the dealer where 26 quality problems were corrected. We parked it in our side yard for the winter. I needed to get our DirecTV receivers out of the trailer to use in the house. I opened the slides. When I went to close the bedroom slide, it made a loud noise so I stopped went to look. Only one side was pulling in. I opened the slide and tried again. Same result. So I opened it and left it open. I called my dealer and Heartland customer service. The dealer will be out next week to fix and pull it back for permanent repairs.

This problem is my worst nightmare. What would have happened if I were at a state park for the weekend and this happened on Sunday when I had to leave? Obviously, I would be in big trouble. The one problem I can't afford to have is slide failure. One of the main reasons we upgraded to a luxury fifth wheel was to get the build quality to assure we would never have this problem.

We have only taken 8 trips with the trailer. It is very discouraging to have this problem.

Our bedroom slide operates with cables, so I ordered a cable repair kit after reading about your situation, hope I don't ever have to use it! Good luck on the repairs.

SeattleLion

Could something have fallen against the slide, like a broom etc, and jammed against the slide. Just a thought...............Don

I would feel better if it were something like that. Unfortunately, it was the bedroom slide (cable driven) and there are no obstructions. It's clearly something internal. I called Heartland customer service and they authorized my dealer to come out and do the needed.They can't get here till next week some time. Now, I am worrying that our side yard will flood (it's on a hill, the trailer is safe on high ground) and it may be possible to pull out but not to get back in.

wdk450

I would feel better if it were something like that. Unfortunately, it was the bedroom slide (cable driven) and there are no obstructions. It's clearly something internal. I called Heartland customer service and they authorized my dealer to come out and do the needed.They can't get here till next week some time. Now, I am worrying that our side yard will flood (it's on a hill, the trailer is safe on high ground) and it may be possible to pull out but not to get back in.

If you want to inspect this some more yourself, you should be able to remove the mattress and mattress support board to see the mechanism under the bed, and maybe see what is wrong.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone have a picture of what it should look like under the mattress platform?
If your slide is electric motor driven with cables, there won't be anything under the mattress platform.
The only thing you might find under there would be the motor at the head of the bed.

Peace
Dave

SeattleLion

Heartland's standard policy on mobile RV repair services is that they will pay for the repair, but not the travel charge.

Heartland has authorized the dealer to come out at their expense. The trailer can't be moved until the slide can be brought in.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Bob,

Here's some photos of how the electric slide was set up on a rig viewed during the 2013 Plant Tour. I don't recall which model it was, though. All of my slides are hydraulic.

bdb2047

I had similar issue first time I pulled bedroom slide in. In ours the screws heads holding bracket that cable end attaches to broke. I was able to get slide in with someone pushing from outside while slide was operated. The fix was to move bracket and install new screws.

readytohitheroad

I think your first problem occurred when you developed the idea that you purchased a luxury fifth wheel when you did not. Luxury fifth wheels are not purchased for the price you paid for your Bighorn. Not knocking Heartland and/or their Bighorn line. My research indicates that a luxury, more problem free fifth wheel costs considerably more than a Bighorn does.

SeattleLion

I think your first problem occurred when you developed the idea that you purchased a luxury fifth wheel when you did not. Luxury fifth wheels are not purchased for the price you paid for your Bighorn. Not knocking Heartland and/or their Bighorn line. My research indicates that a luxury, more problem free fifth wheel costs considerably more than a Bighorn does.

Guess it depends on your definition of luxury. Are you suggesting that I need to pay even more to get to a problem free 5th wheel? What is the threshold price?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

Hate to burst your bubble...but there is NO SUCH THING as a trouble free fifth wheel...don't care what you pay for it!!