Ashland vs Redwood38GK

chuitt

We are stuck. We can't decide between these two units. So far I have concerns about the Redwood door. Any other concerns or considerations? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I too would not like having no window in the door...I assume that's what you're referring to. We are partial to the Heartland product, because you won't find better customer service or a better Owner's group! That was our tipping point when we were looking...even swayed us from DRV...which Heartland now owns!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My 2 cents... We chose Landmark mostly because we have a dealer in our home town. Also we love everything about it. I do wish I would have special ordered it though. I would have added the toppers, metal awning covers, Disk brakes, Gas stove top, and a few more of the bells and whistles. Ours already has most of the others stuff. Make sure you get 3 A/C units. We have 3 A/C's and it works great. 2-A/C's is not enough to cool that size of RV when it's 100+ outside. The Heartland owners club and forums have been very helpful. It has been a long process the last 3 months getting the bugs out. Some of that is the dealers fault, some is mine for adding things on. IE Generator, Go Solar system, Slide toppers, and more. Doing all of this in between trips. They have had our RV more than we have. We are almost done and cant wait to just enjoy it.
Bottom line we love the Landmard 365 Ashland and do not regret our decision at all.

- - - Updated - - -

T

TomMontague

This is Tom Montague the GM for LM365. I also happen to be in my past life the number two employee of Redwood RV. I was the GM from the day we opened in Aug of 2010 until the Aug of 2013 when I came over to revamp Landmark. So I guess you could say I'm uniquely qualified to answer any questions you might have about the differences between the two.

In general, Redwood makes a good unit. I can tell you for a fact that I learned a lot from starting Redwood and working at Carriage and that knowledge has gone into the all new LM365. The LM365 is by far the best unit I've been associated with and continues to get better. Not only in the eyes of dealers but with retail as well. LM365 is now the number one selling High end FW on the market. It took less than two years but we are out retailing both Redwood and DRV and most of the other competition has fallen by the way side. It's nice to see retail responding to the changes.

One of of our biggest advantages over everyone else is our Owners group. What a fantastic resource. If the folks on this site who actually use the product on a daily basis can't convince you then there is no way I can. These folks tell the truth, they tell it like it is without sugar coat and are very active in the direction of the brand. I love their passion not only for LM365 but for Heartland.

If if you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer. Please don't hesitate to ask.

The windowless door in the Redwood came from Carriage where we didn't put a window in either. It was one less blind we had to put in a coach and we pitched it as a security feature to keep people from breaking the glass and opening the door. Meanwhile the story isn't all that good - there are several other windows you could break just as easy to gain access if someone really wanted in that bad. At the end of the day it was a way to make the product a bit different than everyone else and sometimes that's a good thing in a sea of endless copying of each other. It really is a preference thing and we at LM365 choose to put the window in the door.

Same as the FIT foundation. I came up with that really as a way to save money. If I bought all the pieces for the same manufacturer I could bundle and save. I wrapped it with a pretty good story about service and BOOM the FIT foundation story was born. The story at LM365 is simple - we use the best of the best. Lippert frame, Dexter axles, Dexter suspension, Goodyear H range tires and MORryde pin box. These are all arguably the best in the business components that make up our foundation.

Anyway I hope this helps and if I can help in any way please let me know. Please however don't ask for MORryde to be factory installed. YES I know it's a great system and NO we can't install it during the manufacturing process.

Talk soon
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

DWChris

I considered the Redwood. Even made an offer on one. Then I saw the Landmark. Huge difference in the responsiveness, etc of the dealers. Bought a 2014 Landmark. While being built I was able to talk to the factory. Great bunch of folks. Love my Landmark. Wouldn't have anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EPaulikonis

Very comparable units you've selected, and I feel your pain. We were at the same juncture about 18 months back looking at Landmark, Redwood, and Lifestyle rigs. One thing that stood out clearly and drove our decision was this forum. Owners supporting owners with factory and industry representatives responding directly to posts was key. Every manufacturer has some issues and puts unique touches on the rigs they produce, but nobody has the support of customers like Heartland. Heartland, in turn, does a spectacular job of turning our issues and suggestions into fully developed products to continually improve. Customer service has been good to work with to resolve the issues I have encountered so far as an owner. Regardless of Landmark or Redwood, best of luck on the purchase and happy camping!