Forum change ?

Lou_and_Bette

Signed in today, as usual, and there was a difference in the “What’s New” folder. Today, there was only about 20 threads available with some of those threads being new and then the break indicating the following threads were not new but contained unread posts. Yesterday, and all days before that, I would get multiple pages, some of them were new and then the break noted above but there were multiple pages beyond that break. I don’t know if there has been a Forum change in the format of this folder, or I inadvertently changed something. I only thing different on my end is I set Bette up so she could sign on with her iPad. Can someone enlighten this technology handicapped user?

jbeletti

No forum changes have been made Lou. By chance are you using a different device or browser?

vBulletin 4.x which we are on is no longer supported with changes other than security - by JelSoft.

Possibly by the end of 2018, we plan to make a forum update that will likely have us moving to a new platform. Likely Xenforo.

LBR

Wondering if there are any plans on this site getting migrated to the cloud? Had quite a fiasco elsewhere with broken photo links when done....uggg!

jimtoo

If I even implied such a thing, I’d be afraid to close my eyes at night.:cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Ooh you’re in trouble now Dan :)

Hope he hasn’t drug me down with him:mad:

Well, whatever was the cause, it has corrected itself.

It's all still in print..and imbedded in a outer space cloud..and,,,, I might/could remove some of it ......for a small fee. :rolleyes:

I am open for ah??suggestions?? :cool:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If Bette is logged in as you, she may have read some of the posts. Then, when you go to look on a different device, they are not "new" anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fox

Not to throw a monkey wrench in to the equation but I have often observed when selecting the "View First Unread" posting that it often extends outward to 24 hours, even though I've checked in within the past several hours.

I'm learning to live with it.

LBR

Not to throw a monkey wrench in to the equation but I have often observed when selecting the "View First Unread" posting that it often extends outward to 24 hours, even though I've checked in within the past several hours.

I'm learning to live with it.
When you get done reading thru all posts at any given time, make sure to select "mark read"...this will clear all read and unread threads up to that point in time.

The next time you see check the site, it will be only back to that time when you marked all read previously.

Lou_and_Bette

If Bette is logged in as you, she may have read some of the posts. Then, when you go to look on a different device, they are not "new" anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought of that Erika, but the older posts with “unread posts” always showed up with multiple page numbers appearing at the bottom. For some reason, the recent issue, now gone, was only one additional page would show up. So, only about 20 threads would be available to read, some “new” and a few, depending on how many “new” there were available. Whatever the cause, it no longer is an issue.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Lou, it sounds like someone, insert name, clicked the Mark Forums Read button from the Whats New? page.

Peace
Dave

Lou_and_Bette

OK, I’m officially throwing in the towel. Dave, when I push thee ‘Mark Forums read” tab I am directed to the ‘Forum” page but no change in the way threads are displayed in the “What’s New” category. Previous to the addition of Bette’s iPad, when I went to the “WN” tab i got this bold heading

• The threads below have not been updated since your last visit or since forums have been marked read.
but many pages of threads followed. Now, when I select “WN” I get this msg

Sorry, there are no new posts to view.
You may search for posts updated during the previous 24 hours, here

And, I no longer see the ‘view first unread post’. ???????????

Fox

What I've been doing seems to work for me. My method is to sign in then select the Whats New. As I scroll thru the list I open (in another tab) those that interest me.

As I finish reading those open pages I X (close) them out (individually); eventually that leaves me with only the main page open - where I then use the Mark Read option before exiting that page.

When I return and sign on I can then go back to the Whats New and find only the new stuff remaining. YMMV.