novice RVer

Rriver

In August of 2016 I bought a 2016 Ford f350 diesel 4x4 short bed fx4 brand new. Recently my wife and I bought a 2015 Bighorn 3160 EL fifth wheel. My truck is not a dulley, single axel. My question is do I have enough truck for the trailer? I think that I do but some encouragement would help. Thanks Rriver:rolleyes:

rjr6150

Only way to know for sure it to take truck and trailer to a scale to have weighed. Both being setup ready to roll with all items carried.

mlpeloquin

In August of 2016 I bought a 2016 Ford f350 diesel 4x4 short bed fx4 brand new. Recently my wife and I bought a 2015 Bighorn 3160 EL fifth wheel. My truck is not a dulley, single axel. My question is do I have enough truck for the trailer? I think that I do but some encouragement would help. Thanks Rriver:rolleyes:

You have to know your pin weight and the entire weight of your trailer loaded. Here you will find the towing capacity of your truck. Remember you want to look at fifth wheel towing capacity not trailer towing capacity and regular, super, or crew cab.

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=SuperDuty&year=2016&postalCode=15001

MTPockets

Look at the yellow sticker on driver side door post. What does it say for payload, GVWR... etc.

'Lil Guy'

People are pulling heavier rigs than yours with the SRW. Are you overloaded on payload? Probably. Your weak link is your tires. Keep a good eye on the tire pressure and watch for wear. I have the smallest BH and my pin weight is just over 3000lbs. You can go on line with Ford and see what your payload is. Your actual pin weight is probably going to be a little higher than what HL lists. You should be able to get a relatively close idea of your towing situation.
Do I recommend hauling heavier loads than our trucks are designed for? No. I have the DRW. If you're comfortable towing with your truck, it's your call. Good luck.

Looks like you're looking for reassurance. Maybe some of the people here with the SRW will chime in and give your their opinions. Again, there are quite a few who are towing heavier rigs than yours.

Oldelevatorman

Your BH GVWR is 15,500. Take at least 22% for pin weight, that’s 3400+-. You need at least another 500 lbs. of payload for people, cargo, Wood, tools etc that you carry in the truck. I’d say if you don’t have at least 4000 lbs. of payload you’ll probably be overloaded. Go to a scale and get your actual weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

What are the factory weight stats of the BH he bought? Am guessing we were in a very similar situation last year and I can give him 1st hand what we ran into.

Rriver

What are the factory weight stats of the BH he bought? Am guessing we were in a very similar situation last year and I can give him 1st hand what we ran into.
The GVWR is 15,500 lbs. for the coach. The actual weight of my truck is (7,945 lbs. empty.) I know that because I had to have it weighed prior to my getting the registration in California. ( We save $60 a year in California registration by getting under the 8,000 lbs. limit). We are not full time RVers yet. I will retire in June and my wife also. We are both educators. She wants to sell the house and everything we own and go full time, me I am dragging my feet. With that said, at this point in time we do not travel fully loaded. Probably 550 lbs. extra max in the truck and that puts it around (8,500 lbs.) and maybe 14,000 lbs total for the coach. Pin weight?? I do not have a clue in regard to how one calculates that. We have taken the 5th wheel out several times. The truck has more than enough power. The trailer does not push on down hill grades, the exhaust break handles braking without any effort, rarely do I have to use the breaks even on long down hills, I put the best tires on the rig that I could, I put a leveling kit in it also. So far so good, I just don't want to be outside of the ball park should an accident occur. Thanks for the help in regard to my inquiry. Rriver

mlpeloquin

The GVWR is 15,500 lbs. for the coach. The actual weight of my truck is (7,945 lbs. empty.) I know that because I had to have it weighed prior to my getting the registration in California. ( We save $60 a year in California registration by getting under the 8,000 lbs. limit). We are not full time RVers yet. I will retire in June and my wife also. We are both educators. She wants to sell the house and everything we own and go full time, me I am dragging my feet. With that said, at this point in time we do not travel fully loaded. Probably 550 lbs. extra max in the truck and that puts it around (8,500 lbs.) and maybe 14,000 lbs total for the coach. Pin weight?? I do not have a clue in regard to how one calculates that. We have taken the 5th wheel out several times. The truck has more than enough power. The trailer does not push on down hill grades, the exhaust break handles braking without any effort, rarely do I have to use the breaks even on long down hills, I put the best tires on the rig that I could, I put a leveling kit in it also. So far so good, I just don't want to be outside of the ball park should an accident occur. Thanks for the help in regard to my inquiry. Rriver

In a previous response I sent the link to the specs on your truck. Worst case 15,700lb towing for a fifth wheel. You can look up your max GVWR that is posted on your truck. Then look at page 23 of 25 on the left side and find your maximum payload by cab type and wheel base length. Next cross over and find the correct maximum fifth wheel towing weight. Then you will know what your maximums are. Then get it weighted for pin weight fully loaded for travel.

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=SuperDuty&year=2016&postalCode=15001

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The GVWR is 15,500 lbs. for the coach. The actual weight of my truck is (7,945 lbs. empty.) I know that because I had to have it weighed prior to my getting the registration in California. ( We save $60 a year in California registration by getting under the 8,000 lbs. limit). We are not full time RVers yet. I will retire in June and my wife also. We are both educators. She wants to sell the house and everything we own and go full time, me I am dragging my feet. With that said, at this point in time we do not travel fully loaded. Probably 550 lbs. extra max in the truck and that puts it around (8,500 lbs.) and maybe 14,000 lbs total for the coach. Pin weight?? I do not have a clue in regard to how one calculates that.

Forget all of that when get rid of the house and you go full time as you'll be loading the truck and the 5'ver up with stuff!

It is inevitable...

All of that living right on the edge of the tow ratings will go right out the window...

NYSUPstater

Reg, ext, crew cab? My bet is that your already over or darn near close to it. What you really need to do is fill truck up w/ all fluids (fuel DEF etc), add in the hitch and roughly weight of # of people that will be in truck while under tow. Get the RV all set as well for say a week of vaykay (food, clothes, water etc). Go to nearest CAT scale and run across it 1st time w/ the whole rig (truck & RV). Drop the RV and re-weigh just the truck. Once done-re-hook the RV, get your scale tickets and compare the results. Combined weight minus the truck weight gives you your RV weight. Subtract rear drive axle weight w/o RV from that of with the RV. This gives you your PIN weight. Some may differ on this, but it's how you calculate it. Given all these numbers (not incl axle/tire capacity) and now you know where you stand w/ your truck and RV. You could be just under or just over or way over things. You won't know until you get a true ready to camp weight. Once you get those numbers, let us know and we will all help you out.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
You definitely need to find out what your pin weight is. The GVW of our BC dictates we could tow with a SRW, the pin weight of our BC dictates we need a DRW.