Poping circuit breaker

BigBlue

BigBlue
We're just ending a week at Lake Havasu City, AZ. Temperatures reached a 100 degrees and we started using our air conditioner. Before this we've never had any problem. Well it started tripping the 50 amp breaker. We checked the loads and turned off fans etc. Seemed to help but the next day it did it again and this time I smelled an oder around the breaker panel. Investigation revieled that the screw on the breaker holding the wire was not tight. I actually found some carbon on the wire. So what was happening, the loose connection caused heat to build up and this resulted in the breaker tripping. I tightened the screw and the AC has been running all day today again over 100 degrees.

jpmorgan37

Big Blue, that's a good one. I'll be in my breaker panel tomorrow morning and check to make sure mine are tight. I have a TRC Surge Guard but that wouldn't do anything to help a problem with the breaker panel. It may save me a problem next September when I get back to Texas and 100+ degrees.

John

jbeletti

BigBlue,

Great job troubleshooting this one Jim. You've given us all something to check. Take a look at my new thread in this forum. When I am working on that in 2 weeks, I'll pull the face off the panel and tighten the screws on the breakers (with the power off of course).

Thanks,

Jim

bajaron

Bajaron
BigBlue

How many air conditioners do you have and how well did it keep the
trailer cool.:)

Thanks

BigBlue

BigBlue
Ron
We have one air conditioner. When it was 101 outside we measured 93 inside. So one ac is not sufficient to keep the Monticello cool on hot days.
I don't think we'll be getting another ac though since I try to live by the rule if its colder than 40 or hotter than 90 we're out of here.

bajaron

Bajaron
BigBlue

Amen to that
But sometimes you still get caught in hotter or colder weather than you like.
My next rig will have two.

Thanks