entry door locks

Bobby A

Anyone having problems with there entry door locks being hard to lock and unlock with the keys ?? I have used WD40 and silicone spray the lock is still hard to use. This is the 2nd one, the 1st one got us locked out of our rig and had to call a locksmith to get us in. This one is on the verge of doing the same thing. This is a 2010 Big Horn, I think the supplier has cheapened up the material used to manufacture them. Also I can see daylight through the lock when inside of the rig.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
No, but I did have to drill out the spot where the dead bolt goes into the door frame to get it to extend far enough to actually lock. Otherwise, you could turn it back with a screwdriver and no effort.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Instead of wd-40, use graphite. You can get it in a tube like toothe paste (but smaller) and squirt it in the key hole. It will work itself into the mechanism.

Bobby A

Thanks I will try the grafite thing, again I think it is subpar materials going into these new locks. On my Montana that I had for 7 years I never once had an issue.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I've been using a product called LPS on my locks for years, and haven't had a problem since then. It's kind of hard to find, but it does a good job of keeping things lubricated inside the lock box.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
One thing to watch out for on your bolt lock. When you unlock or lock the door ALWAYS bring it back to the center up and down position. If you don't you may find that it will not work. Mine right now seems to be a little stiff but it is still working.

I will probably get some graphite also and try it..
BC

geeksrus

I've been using a product called LPS on my locks for years, and haven't had a problem since then. It's kind of hard to find, but it does a good job of keeping things lubricated inside the lock box.

LPS makes many products... which one are you using?

Eh!

geeksrus

I've been told to avoid WD40 for the door locks and that a Teflon based lubricant is best. Haven't found it so far, so I use Gig-A-Loo.

Eh!

Bobby A

TXbobcat,

I always do put the lock in the center (up and down) position when I lock it. Don't know why or when, but I have been doing it for years on previous coaches.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I've been using LPS 2. It is a little thicker and seems to last longer in the hot Texas sun. It is a little harder to find, but it lasts a long time.

Zuey

We had the dead bolt lock jam on our return trip from our first outing. I could not get the key to go all the way in and could not unlock the door. I tried WD40 but nothing worked. I had to enter into the trailer through a window and then dissasemble the lock from inside. I could not even get the door to open from the inside. The lock was jammed. We no longer use these locks. I am plaining to add a good after market dead bolt. I thought about having the old lock replaced under the warranty but I do not think that replacing the old lock with the same type would solve anything.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If you replace the bolt lock, what would you replace it with and where. Can you use the same area or have to bore a hole in the door?

Has anyone done it?

Just some of my questions...

BC

Bobby A

We had the dead bolt lock jam on our return trip from our first outing. I could not get the key to go all the way in and could not unlock the door. I tried WD40 but nothing worked. I had to enter into the trailer through a window and then dissasemble the lock from inside. I could not even get the door to open from the inside. The lock was jammed. We no longer use these locks. I am plaining to add a good after market dead bolt. I thought about having the old lock replaced under the warranty but I do not think that replacing the old lock with the same type would solve anything.

This is exactly what happen to me, but I didn't have a window open so I had to call a locksmith. Had a new one installed under warranty, but this one is doing the same thing as the first one did before it totally died on me. As I mentioned earier in this thread, I think the supplier is useing cheaper material to make these locks, I had a SOB for 7 years before I got this unit and never had an issue with the locks. Heartland needs to either get a new supplier or if its the same supplier as before than go back to the good material they once used.

Netem

Most of these parts on all brands of RVs are made by the same few Manufacturers so I would bet the problem is made in China. Bobby ,your old RV probably still had a lock made here in the old USA. I bought some of these little cups of peaches you take for your lunch and guess what, the box said product of China. So sad. Someone is going to have to put America first again or these other countries are going to eat us up.