Help! Leak in new Big Country 3250!!

lewnae

We purchased our new 2009 Big Country 3250 in late January and just the past few weeks have finally been able to try it out! We have had to deal with several leaks but still have one yet to go. This leak occurs "somewhere" behind a wall that we can't see or get to when we hook up to flush the black water system. Water comes pouring out in the underbelly storage area. Has anyone else had this problem and could assist in how to fix it? A phone call to Heartland makes it sound as though the only way to get to the possible culprit....a leaking or broken valve....is to cut an access hole in the wall behind our toilet! We certainly don't want to do that IF there might be someone out there who has experienced this problem and got to that particular valve an easier way! Please help!! Thanks!

Sthramann

Hi Lewnae,

I don't know if this helps, but I'll offer my experience with a leak in the general area you describe. I have a 34 ft Big Country 5th wheel, so our set ups may be different.

I had water in my large storage area (jsut to the front of the hook ups. I removed the panel that is in the storage area that revealed the space directly behind the water hook up/outdoor shower/control knobs to release the waste water. It was very easy to remove (I believe there were only 2 - 4 screws). Once I removed the panel, I had full access to see everything behind the controls (this is directly below the sink in the bathroom).

My fix took seconds; I just had to tighten one of the connection to the outdoor shower.

It may be possible to remove this panel, hook up your flush hose, and watch for the leak.

I hope this helps.

lewnae

Thanks for your help. However, we did remove that panel and can see the water dripping (lots!) down but you can not see or get access to where it is coming from. It sounds like we can only gain access to that valve in the wall behind our toilet. I guess they changed it in later models to be able to access it from in the shower. In the meantime, we have a mess and it is not going to be an easy fix.

imchud

Thanks for your help. However, we did remove that panel and can see the water dripping (lots!) down but you can not see or get access to where it is coming from. It sounds like we can only gain access to that valve in the wall behind our toilet. I guess they changed it in later models to be able to access it from in the shower. In the meantime, we have a mess and it is not going to be an easy fix.

Lewnae,
I have read a lot of post regarding Heartlands "Water Problems" and I too have experenced some, but I think the one you have is one of the worst. What I mean by that there is a back flow prevention valve that runs up the wall behind the toilet. I know it runs higher then the toilet but i'm not sure how high, and the only way to get to it is to remove the wall :eek:. I'm not sure if anybody else has cut a access panel but I know other people that own Heartland product have had the valve break? I'm sorry to say but I think you neeed to take it back to the dealer. Look through this form and i know you will find some post that relate to your problem, best of luck to you, please keep us posted...

Tommy

imchud

Lewnae,
I spoke to soon, it's the Anti Siphon Valve that runs behind the toilet that could be bad... Look under "Big Horn Pluming" in this form and look for the post "Black Water Flush Leaking in Bathroom" There is a lot of good info there and maybe you can fix it yourself:confused:, good luck...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Why??

Why is the backflow preventer or anti-siphon valve for the black tank flush system mounted so far above the black tank in the first place? What would be the effect of cutting that stupid system out and reconnecting it down in the basement where you can get at it? If it's as faulty as it sounds, maybe I'll just stop using it and rely on my trusty back flush adapter at the sewer connection.

jbeletti

...If it's as faulty as it sounds, maybe I'll just stop using it and rely on my trusty back flush adapter at the sewer connection.

While we are bound by RVIA code on this item and how to plumb it in, many people on their own, do as you are considering.

Jim

imchud

They say the Syphon Valve needs to be higher then the black tank, but i agree. I would think you could re-route the line closer to the basement and away from all the electrical lines and converter. Run the line over and up the wall just behind the acess panel and put the valve there? I'm no plummer, but i don't know why that would'nt work :confused:

Tommy

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While we are bound by RVIA code on this item and how to plumb it in, many people on their own, do as you are considering.

Jim

I would guess that if you remove/bypass the installed anti-siphon plumbing and put an anti-siphon device at the hose connection for the flush unit in the UDC, you would get the same result without launching an Ark in the basement. Isn't the whole idea to prevent black tank nasty water from backflowing into the supply? But for under $30, you can just as easily get a sewer flush adapter and be done with it. If it leaks, all you've got is wet dirt.

lewnae

Thank you so much for everyone's input on our problem. I will keep you posted as to what we end up doing to solve it.

Zonian

I'm experiencing similar problems w/my NT. At least I can get to the anti-syphon valve. I think I will remove it and connect the line w/o it...at least until I can get it in for repairs.

However..........if several Heartland products are having this problem perhaps a new valve supplier needs to be found:rolleyes:??????