Help! Leak in BC 3250!

lewnae

We purchased our new 2009 Big Country 3250 in late January and just the past few weeks have finally been able to try it out! We have had to deal with several leaks but still have one yet to go. This leak occurs "somewhere" behind a wall that we can't see or get to when we hook up to flush the black water system. Water comes pouring out in the underbelly storage area. Has anyone else had this problem and could assist in how to fix it? A phone call to Heartland makes it sound as though the only way to get to the possible culprit....a leaking or broken valve....is to cut an access hole in the wall behind our toilet! We certainly don't want to do that IF there might be someone out there who has experienced this problem and got to that particular valve an easier way! Please help!! Thanks!

SmokeyBare

There is a valve that by code MUST be above any sink trap... This valve is part of the Sani-Flush System. To get the required height, they usually place this valve behind the toilet wall.

The valve is made so there can never be any back flow from a Black water tank... into the fresh water system. Anti Siphon valve I believe its called. It is quite possible... this is the valve that could be leaking.

Some cases... this valve can be reached by removing a wall panel... in our BigHorn 3400 RL.... I could get to this valve by taking out the wall inside the closet... by the entry door. I don't know if this is possible with your Big Country.

Good Luck with the repair... be sure to check out what ever items that was below the leaking water... often there might be some electrical items below this area.

lewnae

Thanks for your post. But we do not have a closet by our entry door in the Big Country as you do in your Big Horn. And there is most definitely some electrical items below where the water was leaking down.

I guess we don't have trailers in common....but we both DO drive Duramax pickups AND we are are Escapee members as well!

Thanks again!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
On the back wall inside the basement there are 4 screws that hold two partitions together. Remove these screws and swing the drivers partition forward. You will now see and have access to the majority of the plumbing including under the floor where your bathroom is.

016.jpg

Unfortunatley, you may also see some things you don't want to see.

Last edited:

lewnae

Yuk...yes, we have seen such a mess as this while the partition was off and we were trying to see where the water was leaking down from. But the problem is that the VALVE in question here can neither been seen or accessed from there. Sounds like we can only get to it to fix it or replace it through our bathroom wall!

jnbhobe

I thought I saw somewhere on the forum where that valve was eleminiated by someone. But I'm not sure of the effects it has. JON :confused: :confused:

jbeletti

lewnae,

My guess is the back-flow preventer/check-valve for the black tank flusher. At some point in '08 for the '09 model year units, we began putting that valve in a more accessible location.

Unscrew the round panel below your bathroom shower controls. If you see a blue and a red line only - then I am wrong about your unit. If you see 2 additional blue lines, then your check valve is on top of those 2 additional blue lines (in and out).

If that is where the leak is, as a quick fix, remove the check valve and perhaps a small amount of blue (PEX) line. Then go to a hardware store or building center to see if you can get or make up a 180 degree connector to splice those 2 lines together.

This could get you by until you get to a dealer later on to replace the valve.

Just a guess.

Jim

dp7955

Jim B is exactly right, that is where the back flow preventer is. Taking off the cap in the shower the valve is right there. Mine leaked and all I had to do was recrimp the connector.

Dave

lewnae

Jim....ours is a 09 model but when we took checked out the access hole in the shower, there was only a blue and red line. I think they must have changed it on units made later than our 09. So we are back to "square one" having to cut a hole behind the toilet to access it, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the info, though.....I wish it would have been where you suggested. That is where it should be!

lewnae

Jim.....do you think you could give us the name of someone at Heartland that would be the best person to tell us exactly how to gain access to the valve you mentioned since it is NOT in the shower access hole?

Thanks!