Generator for 35QSQB

steveoona

We recently bought a 2010 Eagle Ridge 35 QSQB Fifth Wheel.

I'd like to use a generator to run the A/C while we're driving so we can keep our dogs cool in the trailer.

There's a compartment up front for a generator, but the actual plug for the power cord is in the rear of the trailer. The dealer said it would cost $5,000 to add a plug to the front of the trailer.

At this point, I think these are my options:

1. Mount a carrier on the back to hold the generator so it can plug directly into the socket.

2. Put the generator in the bed of my truck and somehow run a cord to the back of the trailer where the plug is.

3. Put the generator in the bed of my truck and somehow add a plug in the front of the trailer and run a cord from the generator to the new plug.

Please let me know what you recommend.

Thanks.

jbeletti

Steve,

I assume/hope the $5,000 was for a generator up front, not a plug :eek:

As Jon suggested, a rear-platform is once solution. Be sure to find a competent welder to design, fabricate and install the 2" receiver. Depending on what size generator and other items you hang off the back of the frame, that could be a alot of weight cantilevered off the receiver. Some have even had dual 2" receivers added.

That said, the factory does not condone, support, recommend or warrant any hitch receiver mounted to the frame. That risk is yours. Many do it without trouble. But again, the risk is yours.

As you eluded, a truck bed mounted generator is another option that some use. Of course, there is that $5,000 charge for a front mounted 50 amp receptacle. Just kidding :D But you will need to get one up there.

While the AC receptacle on your coach is at the rear, the AC breaker panel is usually mid-ship. As a suggestion, consider installing a transfer switch in the utility area under the floor, behind the bulkhead wall of your large storage area. Remove the service line to your AC panel and wire it to the transfer switch. Then a jumper section from the switch back to the AC panel. And then a jumper section from the switch to the gooseneck area of your hitch. Don't skimp there. Use a Marinco 50 amp receptacle with a cover. Then from that receptacle, you can use a 50 amp to 30 amp jumper to the genny in the truck bed.

These are all just ideas. The factory does not have a prescribed method of user installed generators. We supply/sanction only Cummins/Onan product installed at the factory or at a dealer when the coach was ordered with the GenPrep option (transfer switch, starter panel/hour meter and sheet metal enclosure).

I am moving this thread out of the ATF and into the Electrical forum. Best of luck to you and plan to get more input from other forum members, including some who have used these methods and others.

Jim

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I also carry a honda 3000. It runs everything including the ac. I use it mostly at the campgrounds we host in alpine county in ca. It runs pretty well even at 8000ft. which is how high we are. I'm thinking about having it readjusted so it will run a little easier at the altitude. Hopefully they will let me watch, so I can readjust it for lower altitudes.

wdk450

Generator Size

All:
I rented a Honda 2000 generator to take my Bighorn to a party yesterday and try our the newly repaired Air Conditioner in the 102 degree Sacramento heat yesterday. Well, along with everything else that could go wrong yesterday, I found out that the Honda 2000 will NOT handle the 15000BTU air conditioner for any length of time before tripping its internal overload switch.
If I buy, it will be a 3000 watt Boily which weighs about the same as the Honda 2000 (74 pounds) and I can mange to lug around.

boatdoc

All:
I rented a Honda 2000 generator to take my Bighorn to a party yesterday and try our the newly repaired Air Conditioner in the 102 degree Sacramento heat yesterday. Well, along with everything else that could go wrong yesterday, I found out that the Honda 2000 will NOT handle the 15000BTU air conditioner for any length of time before tripping its internal overload switch.
If I buy, it will be a 3000 watt Boily which weighs about the same as the Honda 2000 (74 pounds) and I can mange to lug around.

I have the red Boliy and it works just fine with our 3670. It was one of the first ones and I did do a little tinkering on it. Nothing major at all, at least to me. I also have the Kipor 3500 TI and it too has been flawless. It wins the battle ever so slightly on the noise, but most definately loses the weight battle.
Both of these were bought when they first came out and were getting slammed by most of the Honda/Yamaha owners as cheap knockoffs saying they wouldn't won't work, well remember way back when when some Japanese company came out with something called a Datsun, look where Nissan is now.
I say go against mainsteam and give the Boliy a shot!!

jimpav

generator

I just keep the Kipor 300Ti in the pickup bed in front of the hitch, and use a 30 amp extension with a twistlock to connect to the generator inplace. Really don't like to move 100 lbs out of the pickup when I need to use it. I don't trust the load capacity in the front storage bin of the 35DSRL. (see attached pic....)

Attachments

• DSC00531.jpg
    DSC00531.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 33

Uncle Rog

Any body else have a Broliy?

The price to weight ratio, as well as the output, has piqued my interest in the units. The earlier post was positive but most of the reviews I have seen have been pretty negative, most were a couple of years old though.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If I understand your post..
use a generator to run the A/C while we're driving so we can keep our dogs cool in the trailer.

Have you ever ridden in the trailer while going down the road.

I am not flaming, or trying to start a problem, but I would never travel with anyone, dog or human, in the trailer while going down the road. It get pretty rough, and if you have a problem you will not know if your dogs are hurt until you get to a place to stop. I know some people leave their cats in the trailer while going down the road. They say the cats stay in the middle of the bed.

I strongly do not recommend that you do this..

BC

bgscott

I just bought the boliy a couple of months ago. I have had no problems with it yet. it will crank my 15k ac, although it sounds a little rough when the compressor cranks. once the ac is going you can add about anything else with no problem. the generator is easy to crank, fairly light and pretty quite. So far I am impressed!