Condensation

tmcran

We just completed a 2 week trip with our 2009 2998 RB. Still having some leaking in the front slide but is much improved with the work by the dealer and input from Heartland. All other systems worked fine. However, we were in a ton of rain the first 3 days. The weather was in the 50,s and the humidity was 90+. We had to stay inside most of the time. I noticed water on the inside of the front bedroom walls around the edges where the corners are and on top of the walls where they join the roof line on the outside. I first thought it was water leaking. I wiped the areas down and noticed much of the water did not return. Some did but after I opened the vents it seemed to help a lot. Anyone else noticed this type of thing ?

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
The first night we stayed in our 2998RB it was 20 something degrees out, the wife had the furnace set at 75...... when we woke up I felt wetness in the corners up near the bed, where the pillows are.... I then went around the rest of the coach, and found condensation in all corners of the slides. Since it did not rain that night, that was what we concluded. I asked the dealer to check the caulk to make sure, whcih he did with me, and it looked OK.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
This is a normal occurrence with an aluminum framed RV. The cool outdoor temps are much easier to transfer to the interior through the aluminum than it is wood. We get condensation on the bedroom slide out interior corners. It may have something to do with our body heat raising the temperatures in the little slide area?

tmcran

Well, I guess this is something I need to check on when the weather is cold and a lot of humidity. I did get one of the plastic pails at Walmart with the chemical in it to reduce the humidity in the RV and it seemed to help also. Thanks for the replys.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Moisture control

This is a normal occurrence with an aluminum framed RV. The cool outdoor temps are much easier to transfer to the interior through the aluminum than it is wood. We get condensation on the bedroom slide out interior corners.

Since you have the heat to your satisfaction sometimes fans (air circulation) will "minimize" this condensation but as stated above this is a normal occurence of the physical laws.

It also means you are sealed-up tight actually so that no warm air (moisture) is escaping. Opening a ceiling vent ever so slightly with some air circulation is also a good point. You will lose a little heat as cooler air pushes it upward but with it goes some moisture....

For your personal comfort and the least moisture you will haveto find your own balance. Down here in the southeastern U.S. we have learned to deal with it daily 365 days of the year.

I cannot sleep in warm humid air (as a preference in my home or elsewhere) so I keep my home always a little cool with air flowing and do the same in my RV. Moisture control (Whether naturally occurring or from cooking) in an RV is always advisable. It can age or ruin the interior as fast as anything.

khd995

I run a dehumidifer. Bought it at Lowe's. put it in the closet( have to leave the door open) . Then added the drain hose and routed down through the basement and out the bottom. Now I never have to empty a bucket. I never have a humidity or condensation problem since making this addition.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
I run a dehumidifer. Bought it at Lowe's. put it in the closet( have to leave the door open) . Then added the drain hose and routed down through the basement and out the bottom. Now I never have to empty a bucket. I never have a humidity or condensation problem since making this addition.

Very smart and I do bet it will pay for itself on re-sale also. Condensation can RUIN RVs over time. (And make your travels nerve-wracking putting up with it)

My old TT was so bad as stated earlier the corners and one whole edge of the bed would be moist.