Changing/Replacement Bulb in Track Light

jbeletti

Note sure what Landmark floorplans include the 110 VAC 3 fixture track light but we have one in our Mt. Rushmore.

Went to switch it on 3 days ago and one of the bulbs burned out like a flash of lightning.

I removed the bulb by removing the round spring clip, pulling the bulb forward and give it a bit of a turn.

Strange looking bulb. I thought it would be one of those 2 pronged halogen bulbs but this looks like a small sealed headlight. Seriously. Has 2 round stud like contacts on the back. No brand on the bulb that I found. I'll try to cross-reference any markings on it, online later this week.

Just curious if anyone else has replaced one of these and if so, where did you find the bulb.

Thanks,

Jim

ct0218

Odd that you should mention that, just today I started to check the bulbs that I would need as replacements. The tracks use a GU10C 50W (120V). I noticed the recessed lights use a 12V 10W halogen bi-pin. I'm looking for a xenon replacement bulb for that. They burn cooler, a little brighter, and last twice as long. I'll look through some resources I have and see what I come up with.

ct0218

I looked on-line and found several vendors selling the xenon versions of both bulbs. Expresslighting.com has both bulbs available, and the life appears to be 2.5 times longer than halogen, similar color temperature, slightly more expensive. I didn't do a thorough search, I'm sure there are others also, maybe cheaper. You most likely can find these bulbs in halogen in most mid-size cities, but the xenon are not as common.

jbeletti

Looked at a few places online. Bulb prices were ok but some had minimums ($20) and some had high fixed shipping ($7). As I was about to buy 2 bulbs online with the fixed shipping cost, I decided to check Lowes.com and found it there for $6.

Went to the Lowes store on my way home from work and found a 2 pack on sale for $7.59 plus tax. Perfect!

I thought this was going to be a challange and expensive. I thought wrong.

Jim

Attachments

• GU10C_bulb.jpg
    GU10C_bulb.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

ct0218

Anyone fulltiming in a Landmark will go through bulbs a lot quicker than you are. Gail will be living in ours full time, so I'm going to order the xenon versions in a sufficient quantity to last me a few years. I was in Lowes today and noticed they carried the track light bulb.