Sanitation

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
"Just to show how people see things differently: at dump stations I've seen people run 5-10ft of hose into their black holding tank to flush them and then calmly coil the hose back on it's holder." "At camp I have seen too much as well with what people do at the fresh water spigot.":eek:

I have personally seen and heard horror stories such as that originating from the campsites or dump stations. I carry a plastic spray bottle of 10% bleach solution (mixed with water) that I spray and SOAK the entire spigot area, even my own hose-ends, etc.,etc. I do this while the water is running to expunge the pipes before I hook-up my water hose (s).

I get fresh "sanitary clean" water running through all my hoses THEN hook-up to my TT. Don't make or think your filter can get all of this.....

I know we have a lot of newbies so I reposted this from the North Trails forum.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I do the same thing. Spray everything down with a bleach solution. You are soooo right about what people do with their hoses and the spigots.
Peace
Dave

jbeletti

Great information Ron. Thanks for sharing. I have several new empty spray bottles in the garage. Gonna try to remember to toss one in the truck tomorrow before I hit the road.

Jim

B. Lee

Firecapt422
Just remember that the bleach and water soultion needs to be made daily to ensure it's at maximum strenght.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Just remember that the bleach and water soultion needs to be made daily to ensure it's at maximum strenght.

Good input: I make about a 25% mixture actually and leave it alone until it needs re-filling. (Just give a little shake) If I played by the book at 10% then that would be necessary.

cjbearden

Visitor
May be a tad off topic but I find this ironic. This morning, a 'classy' Class A driver unhooks and leaves his site next to us. I look out the window and there are his discarded plastic gloves lying on the grass of our site!!!

I think HL owners are much more careful and respectful.

Thanks for the reminder about using bleach and water on the fresh water spigot.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Not off topic but hopefully will help drive home the fact and keep some people here in the Heartland family from getting very ill or worse. We have to realize that not all campers play by the rules of etiquette or public health as this person did not. What if a child were to come by and play with those gloves....?:eek:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With all this worry about cooties, I guess having a seasonal site (with no neighbor hook-up) is a good thing. But I'm careful at "public" dump facilities and use proper precautions with my hoses and fittings. I'll even put a small bucket under the sewer connection before taking the cap off, just to catch the little bit that is usually behind it. And when I'm done, I rinse the area under my sewer connection and the ground back to the drain.