info on electrical outlet placement in Grand Canyon

Midastouch

Not sure where to post this but as I am getting ready to order my unit soon, I am thinking of any extra things I might want the dealer to add for the factory to do while building. I will be placing my order out of state (RV's for less in Knoxville) I can't go back into a unit to see if/where I would need extra outlets placed. I read a post where Jim had some speaker wires run into the basement storage area for future use which I thought was a great idea, but what about outlets? Is there a diagram available that would allow me to see if additional ones would be needed for me?

v92c

Texan
I dont know about Landmark's but the Bighorn 3655RD doesnt have outlets in the basement. I added 2 outlets in the front compartment for a refrigerator, air compressor and cordless drill charger. Next I am going to add an outlet to the doorside near the axles, to plug in toasters and electric skillets.

Midastouch

I guess I need to know if it's a big deal to ask the dealer to add some outlets on my order when it's placed? Now that I think about it, I guess I could ask the dealer what they think ... I suppose I wanted to know if anyone else has done this and what the outcome was to have the factory do this?

jbeletti

Midastouch,

Not sure what floor plan you are looking at, but on my Mt. Rushmore, I really wanted and am glad I asked for that outlet above the desk on the wall in that slide. We use it all the time for charging cell phones with AC adapters and for charging laptops. I have a flat-bed scanner on the desk too and I'll use that outlet.

The outlet that is under the desk behind the doors (I do not have the fireplace) will still be used for other things - like the DeskJet printer I have in there.

My unit has a duplex outlet in the basement. It would be nice to have a second duplex outlet in the basement on the off-door side. Nice to have - but not vital.

If it is not standard yet, consider having a switch added outside of your master closet.

If you like to use those plug-in air-fresheners, having an outlet on the wall in the toilet room would be handy.

I wish I had another duplex outlet in the dinette slide. There is one in the center of the outside wall. I'd prefer to have one centered under each of the two windows. When I want to use the laptop from my recliner in that slide at the rearward end, it's a bit of a pain to get to the one outlet and then my cord barely reaches should I need to work and charge the battery at the same time.

That's all I can think of. Best of luck to you.

Jim

PS (on-edit): I spoke to the factory befire I placed my trailer order. They said they should be able to add my extra AC outlet and pull the speaker wires for me but that I would need to get it on my order with my dealer. My dealer added it but he did not add the cost until the invoice came in. The cost was fairly nominal. Heartland was not as busy then as they are now so I am not sure what sort of extras they will do. I have read on the forum from other users that it's getting harder to make actual changes.

One final thing - I paid the factory to pull plastic flex conduit that I supplied for my backup camera. I also realized it was best to have them mount the camera bracket since they would need (ideally) to provide some backing material behind the fiberglass rear cap. It turned out perfect. Glad I had this done as it saved me a ton of time and mess. Hope they still do this.

Last edited:

jpmorgan37

Midastouch;
I have a Grand Canyon built in February 2006, and we do have a 12V and 120V duplex outlet in the basement. It also has one in the off door side in the docking panel. We have found the outlets sufficient when we were living in it full time. If you want, I'll give you a list and location of all the outlets in the coach. Just e-mail me at jpmorgan37@juno.com and I'll try to answer any questions you have. Mine has the new floorplan so it should be about the same as what you get.

John