Refrigerator options

HowardBJr

HowardBJr
We have an Augusta on our short list and would like some input on options for the refrigerator. We will be using the Augusta full-time. The options are:
  1. Standard 9 Cu.Ft. Dometic
  2. Standard 9 Cu.Ft. Dometic with 120 volt mini refrigerator and standalone ice maker in the basement
  3. 9 Cu.Ft. Dometic with ice maker
  4. 9 Cu.Ft. Dometic with ice maker and 120 volt mini refrigerator in the basement
  5. 14 Cu.Ft. Dometic Elite 4-Door with ice maker
  6. 14 Cu.Ft. Dometic Elite 4-Door with ice maker and 120 volt mini refrigerator in the basement
The 9 Cu.Ft. with ice maker is a $312 upgrade (MSRP). The 14 Cu.Ft. with ice maker is a $2718 upgrade (MSRP).

What do you recommend for full-time use? We have a 25 Cu.Ft. refrigerator in our stick house that tends to be stuffed. We hate to give up the pantry in the Augusta to get the 14 Cu.Ft. Dometic however the Augusta appears to have plenty of kitchen storage to make up for the loss of the pantry. The upgrade cost ($2718) appears high for what you get.

Thanks for your input.

Howard

jbeletti

Hi Howard,

You should get some great feedback on this from other full-timers.

I do not full-time but for 9 months of the year, I use the RV pretty extensively. For me, the 9 cu ft is perfect. You just shop more often. If I was full-time though, I think I would delete the ice maker in favor of more freezer space. Then I'd add a portable ice maker.

That said, there are some full-timers that require the 14 cu ft refer. And it's a nice unit with ice maker and water dispenser as well.

Some do use a smaller refer in the storage area or in the washer/dryer space or in the front closet for extra food. Some use a small freezer instead of a small refer.

You observation on cabinet space is right-on. The pantry is nice but you may not miss it with the space the Augusta has. Everyone's needs are a little different. Best of luck on your decision and I hope you get some great feedback from full-timers on this.

Jim

Bobby A

We hear on this forum can only provide input on what is best for our own individual needs. I can tell you that we are full time also and storage is at a premium when you full time. So with that said we went with the 9 cu.ft. without the ice maker, as you mentioned if you get a 4 door you sacrifice another storage space, also the ice maker takes up room in the freezer also. What we did was bought a little referagator (can't remember the cu.ft.) but a small one for drinks and water and such. That diffently frees up space in the main refer. Also we bought a portable ice maker that works terrific, makes ice in 7 minutes when you need it. We will makes ice and put it in a zip lock baggie and freeze it that also works great and takes up less space in the freezer. Also, alot of campgrounds you stay in the water is not the best, so we really don't wanna make ice with that water. We always buy gallon bottle water for making ice and drinking. I think the ice maker and small refer. we bought cost us less tha $400.00 Just my 2 cents worth, hope this helps

Niles

We totally agree with Bobby A, we have the BH 3670, which is same layout as the Augusta. We did get the 9 cu ft with the ice-maker and as soon as I figure out how to take it out it will go. It takes up way too much room and your at the mercy of campground water. We also bought the ice-maker from CW and it works great. As for size, we get along great with the 9 cu ft, we do some extended stays at places but do not full-time as of yet,which we hope to do in the near future.:rolleyes:

fljlcw

we fulltime in aBH3580 and have the 9cf no ice maker and use A stand alone icemaker we also bought the portable freezer from CW cant remember the CF but it cost around 800.00

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
For us, the 9 cu.ft. is adequate. We have the ice maker and use it a lot. We don't have the counter space for the portable/counter top ice maker, nor do I want to carry the extra piece of equipment. They are pretty neat though. We have a 3.2 cu.ft. freezer in our washer/dryer area. Lin would prefer going to a laundrymat for an hour or so rather than having the waher/dryer option. This more than makes up for the space lost for the built in ice maker. It's been a livable situation for us for 3 years and have no regrets. I guess it's all about what you feel you need and/or can do without.

cjbearden

Visitor
Our Augusta came with the 14 CF Elite with ice maker and water in the door. Yes, I miss the pantry but have managed to put canned goods in three locations (still not real organized) to help distribute the weight and not overload upper cabinets. We use three water filters and a water softener that makes us feel comfortable with the ice cubes and giving water to our cat. I primarily use bottled water to drink. J.D. only uses the water on the door when he is taking his pills. We pretty well keep this refrigerator full. We had the smaller fridge in our BH 3400 and seemed to be going to the grocery store every other day.

We aren't living with you so decide what you think will work best for you. Bottom line: do what makes momma happy!

CJ

boatdoc

There is so much room in the 3670 that we got the larger fridge in ours and went without the pantry, never miss it. Try and not bother with the icemaker as it takes up too much room and the stand alones are much better anyway.
We have small 12VDC/110AC fridge/ freezer where the W/D are supposed to be and have more than enough room now for the cold stuff. The stand alone ice maker is in the basement. This all works out great for us.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
We have the 3670 and went with the 14 ft ref. With ice maker and love it. Took the coat closet and made a pantry out of it and filled it with can goods. All depends on your personal use of the kitchen. We tailgate and cook a lot and really needed the bigger ref. And also need the ice maker.

Rickhansen

Howard,
This is a great question. Being full-time in a 3670, I feel your dilemna.

I would go with option 1 (and did). Not that the pantry is all that useful, but it is handy for some things. I also choke a bit on $2700 for a little more room in the fridge. Seeing the upgrade models in person, you realize that there's not that much more usable space between them. I figured we could always add the basement device later for a whole lot less money. Weight and space are always a consideration too.

I feel that the icemakers take up a lot of valuable space in the freezer, and refilling the trays is not a big deal.

I have thought about adding the refrigerator in the basement, but think a small freezer in the basement would be better than a fridge. They are more costly than the cube refrigerators. I just haven't gotten motivated enough to spring for one yet.

I've also wondered about the countertop icemakers for the summer months or special occasions.

In 18 months now, I guess we've pretty much adapted our buying habits to fit what we have and it hasn't been a big enough issue to do anything different. I'm sure with whatever you decide, you will be happy.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We don't full time but anytime. We have a 12 cu ft in our Golden Gate (14 not available then) but just now started using the ice maker (after 2 years). We know some Heartland owners that have the 14 cu ft unit and have had lots of problems with it not cooling properly. Don't know if those have been ironed out not or not. Maybe some other can address that. We love our 12 cu ft but do miss the pantry.

Has anyone replaced the Norcold 1200LRIM or the 14 CF Elite with a residential refrigerator? We have sold our 40 foot Monaco Dynasty and have a Rushmore being built now. Due to the many fires and generally poor performance in RVs caused by the Norcold 1200LRIM we replaced it with a residential Samsung. We tried to get Landmark to leave the Elite out but they refused.

This is my first post so I am not sure how to sign this post

Treefarmer