Existing Verizon wireless customers may want to read this

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
Verizon's recent changes to their Mobile Broadband plans include new lower overage charges, and a new tethering plan for non-PDA phones...

If you started a Mobile BroadBand (aka BroadBandAccess) plan that uses an aircard or USB modem AFTER March 2008, your plan is likely to be exposed to overage charges of $0.25 per megabyte ($250/GB).

The new lower overage charge of $0.05/MB ($50/GB) will NOT be applied to your account unless you ASK for it. (go figure)

You'll need to call verizon customer service at (800) 922-0204 and tell them you want the new/lower overage charges for your service.

IF YOU HAVE UNLIMITED SERVICE because your service/contract started BEFORE March 2008 -- obviously, you do NOT want to ask for the lower overage charges!

Those of you who have a verizon cell phone and have been paying $59.99/mo for the "data feature" that allows you to tether your phone to a computer for internet access... the feature is now $49.99/mo but you must again contact VZW and stop the feature and restart it, in order to qualify for the new lower price.

full details are at:
EVDOinfo.com Tip of the Week #6 --
Making Sense of the New Verizon Mobile BroadBand Policies

hopefully, the information helps some folks save money on their existing verizon service.

jbeletti

I just called Verizon and asked for the new lower overage rate of .05/MB.

Done. Thanks for letting us know Alex,

Jim

Uncle Rog

I have a Verizon plan that has been supposedly "grandfather'd" in, unlimited usage for $69 a month.
When I upgraded the card the kid told me not to change the plan as it was no longer offered.
Is this true?
I never bothered to even check, unlimited sounded good to me.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I went and changed mine also. You have to read down the page so I copied it here.. Also that link is a good link for information.. I did not know about it but I have it copied so I can check it out every so often.

Overage charges: With the exception of users who signed up for their Verizon Mobile BroadBand service before the 5GB allowance policy went into effect, Verizon charges overage fees once you exceed a monthly data allowance (5GB for the $59.99/month and tethering plans and 250MB for the $39.99/month plan). Verizon was originally charging users 25 cents per megabyte used after their allowance was reached, which added up to a whopping $256 per gigabyte. While imposing limits and charging overage fees thereafter is the norm (all of the major carriers, including Sprint and AT&T, have similar policies), 25 cents per megabyte was very costly and considerably higher than Sprint's 5 cents/MB charge (although much lower than AT&T's sky-high 48 cents/MB overage fees!). Effective Sunday, 5/17/09, Verizon has lowered their overage fees considerably:
  • For the $59.99/month plan with 5GB limit, the overage charge has dropped from 25 cents/MB to 5 cents/MB
  • For the $39.99/month plan with 250MB limit, the overage charge has dropped from 25cents/MB to 10 cents/MB
  • For ALL tethering plans, the overage charge has dropped from 25 cents/MB to 5 cents/MB
All new subscribers who sign up for service or add tethering to their voice plan after 5/17 will see these new overage fees, but existing subscribers will not automatically have their fees lowered! To take advantage of the new lower overage charges, you must call Verizon at (800) 922-0204 and ask them to put you on the new plan. This will NOT affect your contract or your monthly rate but could save you quite a bit of money if you do exceed your limit.
Remember, you can always check your data usage online at vzw.com (you'll need to log in or create an account if you don't already have one).

BC

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
I have a Verizon plan that has been supposedly "grandfather'd" in, unlimited usage for $69 a month.
When I upgraded the card the kid told me not to change the plan as it was no longer offered.
Is this true?
I never bothered to even check, unlimited sounded good to me.
unlimited at a fixed monthly rate is no longer offered.

the current plan allows unlimited use, but has an overage charge after the first 5GB of data per billing month.

in other words, the current offering is use all you want (unlimited) but you may end up paying a pretty penny for it. (many pennies?)

Bobby A

just called Verizon and got the new lower overage useage of .05 cents thanks so much, I came real close last month to going over. But the guy did say that the plan had not gone down, it still is $59.99 a month