Tire Scuff

K

Ken Washington

Hi Scott,
I was looking around under our Grand Cayon and noticed a slight scuff on the inside of both tires on back side of trailer. Tires are not damaged but I think are rubbing on the shock mount when turning sharp. The back tire is the worst. I looked for anything that might be too close and the mount for the shock is the only thing that's close. It appeares to be about 1 and 1/2 inches away. I plan on keeping a close eye on them and watch when I make sharp turnes to see what effect it has on the wheels. What do you think?
Ken

Cooper

Yes, ChopperBill Moyr/Ride suspension does have shocks or a least my Golden Gate does. When is your Big Horn due

jpmorgan37

My Grand Canyon doesn't have shocks. Maybe that's why it rides so rough. I'm taking it to MOR/ryde for evaluation in four weeks. I'll be curious to see what they say.

John

Scott

Shocks

If you check some of the previous threads, you will find the issue of suspension systems discussed.
Mor/Ryde took the shocks off of their systems because extensive computerized testing showed that on their newest systems - the shocks were doing nothing to improve the ride that their rubberized system was already doing. In fact, the shocks were stiffer than their system.
So - the newest Mor/Ryde systems no longer have the shocks.

By the way - that's the first time I have heard anyone comment that their coach was riding rough. I'll be interested to know what Mor/Ryde tells you. I have a feeling it might have to do more with tire pressure than anything else, as some people who inflate their tires to the full 110 psi end up having their tires last longer - but their coaches "bouncing" down the road.

ST

K

Ken Washington

The problem sometimes with this "ask the factory" part of the form is that others chime in and the one who started the thread does not get an answer! Scott did not tell me what he thought about my problem but answered comments by others. My thread started out about Tire Scuff and ended up as Shocks! Look at what I asked and than what Scott answered!

Scott

Tires

Sorry Ken - you're right.
As far as tire "scuffs" and your shocks - I guess I agree with your assumption that the scuffs could only have come when you turned your trailer sharply - during which the tires often times go "out of shape" and could touch areas of the coach that would never touch while moving down the road. I know the first time I witness this tire "distortion" I was concerned, but my concerns were put to rest by the engineer who told me that the axles were designed to handle such torqure from turning a large coach - it is normal.
Beyond the fact that agreeing wiht you that this could be where your scuffs came from - I'm not sure what else I can say.
Will that cause a problem down the road? It never has before - on ours or anybody else's trailer that I have heard of - but if you want, you can send photos of it to our service guys and they can help determine if anything is out of the ordinary.

The email is: service@heartlandrvs.com

ST

K

Ken Washington

Scott,
Thanks for the responce! I feel better about this matter and will keep an eye on it in the future.