1500 Rams pulling 5th wheels

Mike101

I am confused. My 2008 1500 Mega Cab short box, sits on a 2500 frame and even has what appears to have and extra leaf spring compared to the 1500 Quad's and Crew Cabs, but cannot pull a 5th wheel - which I think I understand why based on my research and forum comments + the vehicle specs and accept it. BUT this weekend camping, I saw 2 things that shocked me.
1- 2008 1500 SXT Quad Cab, 18 inch wheels and a short box with no modifications but "a chip ?" he added for the engine, pulling an 8400 lbs 5th wheel.
2- 2007 1500 SXT Quad Cab, 20 inch wheels and and a short box with the addition of air bags pulling a 10,200 5th wheel.

Both owners are under the same belief that with a 5th wheel you take 2000 lbs off the weight since its a 5th wheel and not being "towed" the same so the 8400 guy said he is only pullg 6400 and the 10,200 thinks only 8200 for towing weight ??
Mike
Ottawa

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
There's no reason you can't pull a 5th wheel with your half ton as long as you stay within the towing and GVRW limits of your truck and have the proper hitch and brake controller.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
I am confused. My 2008 1500 Mega Cab short box, sits on a 2500 frame and even has what appears to have and extra leaf spring compared to the 1500 Quad's and Crew Cabs, but cannot pull a 5th wheel - which I think I understand why based on my research and forum comments + the vehicle specs and accept it. BUT this weekend camping, I saw 2 things that shocked me.
1- 2008 1500 SXT Quad Cab, 18 inch wheels and a short box with no modifications but "a chip ?" he added for the engine, pulling an 8400 lbs 5th wheel.
2- 2007 1500 SXT Quad Cab, 20 inch wheels and and a short box with the addition of air bags pulling a 10,200 5th wheel.

Both owners are under the same belief that with a 5th wheel you take 2000 lbs off the weight since its a 5th wheel and not being "towed" the same so the 8400 guy said he is only pullg 6400 and the 10,200 thinks only 8200 for towing weight ??
Mike
Ottawa

Short answer to the above statements made by the "other owners:" DOHT!!!

A fith wheel is carried differently so you can actually carry a larger and heavier TT than on a typical bumper pull.

EXAMPLE: My 2500HD can pull a fifth wheel (max) of 15,800# but only a pull behind travel trailer of 13,000#.

Now a "pin weight" of say 2000# (for the fifth wheel) goes against the GVWR of the truck. My truck weighs (dry) 6000# with a GVWR of 9200#. Simple subtraction and I can "haul" 3200# TOTAL! This means luggage, cargo people, pin etc. (Which with a 2000# Pin weight is not much allowance for people and stuff.....)

So first get the GVWR of your truck, the dry weight, the maximum fifth wheel towing weight and you can then safely figure your personal maximum.

I would say to stay well below the maximum depending upon the year and or condition of the truck.

The "Chip" as referred to only throws more fuel down the engine making it overwork. I would NEVER use a chip to tow! (Unless I wanted a new truck very soon...)

Cyncwby

You can tow with a chip....IF you use a chip specifically made for towing. My '02 F-250 PSD has a "BD Power" tow chip, 60 hp & 110 lbs. ft. of torque. I have boost and pyro gauges, makes a WORLD of difference. Just be careful what you buy.....Dave

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have towed for many years towing with the Edge w/attitude chip.

We first had one on our 1998 Dodge Cummins 24 valve, and now we have one on our 6.6 Duramax. Have never had a problem using this chip...it has a "tow" mode in it. We usually leave it on level 2...never, EVER has it caused a problem with either truck!

It made both trucks tow very well, giving them both the extra power needed to pull heavy loads, and really increased our fuel economy...to each his own.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We had an 04 dodge 1500 pulling a 8500 lb 5th wheel. The hemi didn't have the problem, it was the transmission. Without the towhaul package, the transmission kept shifting in and out of overdrive. We ended up trading it in for an 2500 diesel and then a bigger 5th wheel.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Remember, it is not so much what you can tow, but what you can stop. I could probably tow a 747 Jet, I just don't think I could stop it. If you stay within the manufacturer's tow rating you will be just fine. You can add air bags, tow chips and many other "goodies" but your brakes, frame, suspension and other components are designed by the maufacturer for the listed weight ratings. Remember the TV commercial showing that 1/2 ton pickup towing the locomotive? They never did show it stopping that locomotive.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
remember, it is not so much what you can tow, but what you can stop. I could probably tow a 747 jet, i just don't think i could stop it. If you stay within the manufacturer's tow rating you will be just fine. You can add air bags, tow chips and many other "goodies" but your brakes, frame, suspension and other components are designed by the maufacturer for the listed weight ratings. Remember the tv commercial showing that 1/2 ton pickup towing the locomotive? They never did show it stopping that locomotive.

very well put!

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
We have towed for many years towing with the Edge w/attitude chip.

We first had one on our 1998 Dodge Cummins 24 valve, and now we have one on our 6.6 Duramax. Have never had a problem using this chip...it has a "tow" mode in it. We usually leave it on level 2...never, EVER has it caused a problem with either truck!

It made both trucks tow very well, giving them both the extra power needed to pull heavy loads, and really increased our fuel economy...to each his own.

The chips you are talking about are "tow" chips for a diesel and you already have enough power but this "chip" assists torque and even gas mileage. A gas-fueled vehicle using a chip BECAUSE IT HAS TO for power and torque is another matter!

Triber

Sure you can tow a big 5'er with a half ton pickup. As has been explained by others, the pin weight goes against your truck's GVW and carrying capacity. My 5'ers pin weight is 2200 # My GVW is 8400 #. The truck weight is 3500# That means I can haul 3900#. That leaves me 1700# for passengers, dry box, dog and so forth.

The other factor is that most half tons have smaller brakes and thus don't have the stopping power of larger truck. The differential gear ratios are probably not the best for heavy loads, nor are the smaller springs and suspension parts to say nothing of steering linkages.

Check your trailer GVW and your truck carrying capacity. It is you and your loved one's lives you are putting on the line!

trvlrerik

I guess my 2 cents worth on this discussion was a single rear wheel vehicles tires (load capacity). I am using a srw 1 ton with 14 ply E rated tires because of concerns about tire failure.
I drive f450, f350 and f150 trucks at work towing trailers, and the most obvious difference is the stopping capacity of the trucks. the f450 can stop a 25k trailer easier than a f150 can stop a 2k trailer.
The smaller trucks also seem to overheat more easily when worked hard.

jnbhobe

Trvlrerik; I have a question, Where do you get a 14 ply E rated tire?? I would be interested. JON:confused::confused::confused:

MONEY

I have a 1500 shortbox. Pulls my fifth wheel fine (26ft 6k drywght) You don't need a slider. What you need is a king pin extender if there is not one on there. I can **** near make a 90 degree turn. As far as braking thats why you have an electronic brake mounted. I believe you need them legally, here anyway I was told. My trailer more or less stops my truck

Rigmover06

Stopping Power

Remember, it is not so much what you can tow, but what you can stop. I could probably tow a 747 Jet, I just don't think I could stop it. If you stay within the manufacturer's tow rating you will be just fine. You can add air bags, tow chips and many other "goodies" but your brakes, frame, suspension and other components are designed by the maufacturer for the listed weight ratings. Remember the TV commercial showing that 1/2 ton pickup towing the locomotive? They never did show it stopping that locomotive.

Yup you can see the results every time you grab a cold one. What was left of that truck became pop and beer cans.:D