stabilizers for 5th wheel--steel vs aluminum?

aatauses

HI everyone---we are enjoying our BH 3670, had a few minor issues that we are dealing with, but nothing major. We are looking at a stabilizers to take some movement out of the unit. I know we could consider 'full out' and install the 'ultra fab system', but we think? we just want to put a tri-pod under the king pin. Dealers we discussed this with could not give us much information about steel vs. aluminum? We would prefer the aluminum because of the weight issue if it will do the same performance as the steel? Has anyone had experience in this area?
Thanks--currently in Bluff City, TN enjoying the spring flowers
aatauses

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
aatauses, I have the aluminum tripod. I see no reason that it would not perform as well as a steel one. It does help take some of the movement out of the coach. The movement that we get does not bother us. However, people that have had a tripod and went to stabilizers claim there is a world of difference. Hope this helps.
Peace
Dave

SmokeyBare

aatauses,

If you are heading to Goshen Indiana for the Heartland Rally... I'm sure there will be a few Tri-Pod's there for sale... Used but very good condition. Mostly from those who have now have a full set of Stabilizers on their RV... I for one have a steel Tri-Pod to find a new home for...

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
aatauses,

If you are heading to Goshen Indiana for the Heartland Rally... I'm sure there will be a few Tri-Pod's there for sale... Used but very good condition. Mostly from those who have now have a full set of Stabilizers on their RV... I for one have a steel Tri-Pod to find a new home for...

Me too. I will have a tripod for sale at the Rally also, that is if I can't get rid of it sooner.

aatauses

thanks---to smokeybare & mrcomer----how did you install your stabilizers on the front---as I was looking at the drawings it appears the front ones (under the king pin) attach to the sheet metal in the storage compartment---is this strong enough or did you beef this up some way or am I looking at the drawings incorrect?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Ideally it should be beefed up. Pulltab had a great idea, he installed a piece of angle iron inside the storage compartment for the added support. I already had installed a covered piece of 3/4" OSB on the floor of the storage compartment so I just drilled through the sheetmetal and OSB and used a couple of extra washers. Works great.

Good luck,
Mark

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
thanks---to smokeybare & mrcomer----how did you install your stabilizers on the front---as I was looking at the drawings it appears the front ones (under the king pin) attach to the sheet metal in the storage compartment---is this strong enough or did you beef this up some way or am I looking at the drawings incorrect?
I rotated the upper front stabilizers a few degrees (off 90 deg. x 6") to reach the front angle iron frame. I had to roll the rear stabilizers approx. 45 deg. to reach a solid frame attachment point. The unit is very soild now with little to no sway even in 60 mph winds.

SmokeyBare

Guys, Keep in mind these Stabilizers are used when the RV is set up... Not in motion driving down the road. That said, they need to be attached well... but they don't need over kill on installing them.

They need to be attached to the Frame... yes it may look like they are only attached to sheet Metal... but remember that Sheet Metal is also attached to the frame.

I was able to attach the Stabilizer to our BigHorn... using a Tape Measure... Cordless Drill... two drill bits... a 3/8 hex head bit for the self tapping screws.. and a hand wrench to make that last little bump... tightening them snug.

It's a quick install in my view... and it did do what I wanted... took some of the motion out of our BigHorn...

But remember... the trip to Goshen... to spend quality time with your Heartland Family is still worth more than a thousand postings on the Forum !!! :)

aatauses

Hey Smokeybare,westxsrt10, & mrcomer,
Thanks for the great information about the stabilizers, we are now checking prices and see what we come up with. How did you find something solid in the rear? (we have a BH3670). Do you have any pictures? Since we have electric jacks in the rear and they seem to be bolted to the frame, it looks like the stabilizers will be right beside the jacks we have??
thanks, aatauses

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Not sure if you can mount yours this way. I had to drop the underbelly liner to find a good upper attachment point.

Attachments

• Rstab.JPG
    Rstab.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 65
  • rStabUp.JPG
    rStabUp.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 58

DntDctr

Movement

I too just went through the movement issue. I thought about the tripod and decided not to buy it. I didn't want to buy something to get some of the movement out. I did the JT's and I couldn't be happier. They work as described. No movement at all in my 5er..
There's a reason lots of people are selling used tripods.....food for thought
Paul

Tom of Ypsi

We went with the JT knock offs, can't remember the name, and they did a good job. Yesterday we went and got the Level Up hydraulic stabilizing system from Trail Air. What movement we had before has disappeared completely including using the washer and dryer movement we had. So far I highly recommend them even though we have had them for only one day.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The knock off stabilizers Tom was talking about are called Eliminators and can be found at Camping World. The look and work the same as the JTs without the price.

MurrayN.

Made my own stabilizers for $100

I just finished making my own set of stabilizers for my 3300RLB, and couldn't be any happier with how they turned out. I used a 1.25" square tube with a 1.00" square inside of it, .100 wall both tubes. I looked at where I could attach them in the middle too and found nothing but tin, so I attached them all the way across at the top on the opposite landing gear. I used 2 4x4x0.25 plates and bolted them on opposite sides of the landing gear, with two flanges on the inside one to attach my larger tubes to. I attached the rear facing stabilizers about 3 feet back from the landing gear right onto the frame. One gloss black spray bomb finished it off and no one would ever guess that I didn't pay $300 for these. These make the trailer absolutely rock solid, no more wiggle when you push against the neck on the outside of the trailer. They worked so well that I decided against even putting any at the back of the trailer. :)