Closing off main A/C??

Peteandsharon

I just took the BH 3055 out of storage and have recently had the second A/C installed in the bedroom. My intention at the time was to close off the A/C from the main unit back to the bedroom and basically use the main unit for the main living area and use my smaller secondary unit for the bedroom. What I failed to remember is that the bedroom A/C vents are not the kind that you can close off. So.... I now need to figure out how to close off the main A/C to the back bedroom so that it can focus on the living room area. Has anyone done anything along these lines? Can you replace the bedroom vents with a kind that is closable? Have you done anything up front in the vents to keep the main A/C from funneling air to the bedroom?

Thanks,
Pete

SmokeyBare

You might want to find out a few details about your Dometic RV Air Conditioner

What will happen when I reduce the number of duct vents, will it affect how the A/C unit will operate??

Will I need to increase the size of the existing Vents for the A/C run correctly?

These units are designed to exchange air. They build them to pull in warm air... and discharge cold air. It must be some what balanced. By removing nearly half or more of the vents, you just might cause more problems than you've solved by the addition of the second A/C.

In my opinion....

DennisZ

Pete
Like Smokey said, there needs to be a minimum of outlets per system, the ideal number is between 8 and 12, with 8 being the minimum. Here is a link that is for the installation of a ducted system with all the specifications. I added 3 extra vents in the living area, and installed vents that could be closed down like the one in the commode room.

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/operating/bairducted.pdf

Dennis

Peteandsharon

Thanks guys. Good information and a good link. I really had not considered any bad effects of closing off a couple of vents. My previous unit had the 5840 vent in Ken and Kathy's link and we frequently adjusted the airflow to various places in the travel trailer by closing one off and opening up another Something to think about though. My thought was that for whatever reason, many of these Hearlands have had issues with the A/C. Whether it is a ducting issue or whatever, many of us have struggled to get maximum efficiency out of our main A/C unit. I guess I figured that cutting down the square footage that the main unit has to cool certainly couldn't hurt.