satellite tv

kblasdel

OK all you technical people, I need help. We were given a Direct TV satellite antenna which we wanted to use with our Dish receiver. We were told by two different Dish service people that as long as there were two connectors on the antenna, we would be alright. I notice that most Dish antennas are tilted one way or the other on the mounting unit. The Direct TV antenna we have doesn't have the ability to be tilted. Is this what is referred to as Scew? Is is something we have to be able to do and if it is do they sell an adapter which will enable us to tilt the antenna. We are going out next Tuesday and want to be able to watch the Cavs while we are camping.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Now let me say first of all that I am no expert on this stuff and I am sure that others will chime in as they should but ,recently we were camping in a location that was wooded and hard to find a single. I tried it with the tilt on my dish and could not find it.Then I straighened it up and there the signal was.I do not have hd in my camper but I did have all the channels that I normally do with good signal strength.My son recently moved and the Direct TV guy, that came out to install the new system in his new place ,told us that Direct had put up a new satelitte that carried all the channels so I presume that the tilt is not as important as it once was.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Kblasdel, does your dish have a single LNB or a triple? If it is a single, you don't have a tilt (or shew). Only the double (dish) or triple (direct) LNB's have tilt. The direct installer who put mine in the RV said the direct ant. would not work with a dish receiver. He said the LNB's we're not compatable. Hope this helped.

Bill

Jimmyt5

You have three adjustments if you have a Dish 500 system. Angle,Skew, azimuth. Skew is used so you can get two Sats. on one antenna. Sat 110 and 119. If you don't have skew you can get one or the other. 119 has most of the channels on it. Turn on you sat receiver and go to menu, setup and you can get the angle and stuff for the direction after you put in a Zip code....

SmokeyBare

To get both 110 and 119... your going to need DishNetwork's Dish... shaped in such a way that both signals are aimed back toward the Both LNB's... These dish's have three settings that much be adjusted to acquire both Satellite's Signals.

Just as Jimmyt5 has already stated... Azimuth angle... Elevation Angle... and Skew of the dish so that the signals from both 110 and 119 Satellites reach the LNB's.