Learn from my mistake...

caokgafamily

We arrived yesterday at Jellystone Park in Madison Fl, the kids were real excited. I Put the bighorn in my spot and told my youngest daughter to let the slides out. Everything was going good then I heard a loud pop and yelled at here to stop. The door behind the sink on my 3400 got stuck between the slide and wall. The forward track kept turning and caused the lower skirt to bend and push out, and it also caused the slide to bind. The cabinet door is ok , it just bent the hinge. The lower skirt I can fix. My question is how do I adjust the slide back. It needs to still go out 1 inch on the forward side, the other side is good. After this took place I ran the slide in and out 3 times to make sure it was ok. But it still not all the ways out on the forward side. This is the FP, Tv slide I'm talking about. I should have checked the cabinet doors before running the slides.

Thanks,
Steve

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Sorry about your accident...it's happened to many of us. Every door that is NOT visible to me when I put out the slides, has a ball bungee wrapped around it to keep it in place. You also need to watch the overhead cabinets at the back of your unit, they can't be bungeed together, and unfortunately sometimes they too will open up.

Can't help with the slide adjustment, but I'm sure someone will chime in on that issue...Good Luck!

CGibson

We almost had this happen to us. We got some of the baby door latches to put around the knobs and they wont come open now.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We did not once but twice I did it not much damage but then Kenny did it and we had lots of damage. We put child safety locks on ours works great. The last time we had to take it to the dealer and they had to fix the side inside and out. Be safe -----Kathy:)

Mrscookie

DW of a senior member
Steve, live and learn. DH says don't tell, so I wont tell you that HE did the same thing. We had to make a stop at the factory in Indiana and get new J skirting and a new decal. Looks like new once again.
Mary

lhetsler

Slide Adjustment

Here is what you need to adjust. Page 7.

Attachments

• Slide Adjustment.pdf
    846.4 KB · Views: 118

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I must be worst of all.. I crushed the cabinet doors in the kitchen, the top door on the bookcase in the back and the tall door by the closet in the bed room. One thing that might be your problem as it was mine. The molding around the edge of the slide of my slide was pushed out and broken. The slide worked fine but the fan that got caught in the slide had pushed the board and molding (valance or what ever you call it) away from the edge of the slide.

Look on the outside of your slide and see if it is actually off by an inch or could it be the molding.
BC

SmokeyBare

Rubber bands... Hair Scrungies... Elastic hair rings...

Where ever there is two door handles next to each other... I connect them together. The set of stacked kitchen drawers... we slip a long rod through the handles which helps to keep them closed.

We use pieces of flexible plastic that I have fitted to the width of the bathroom mirror cabinet... to keep the lose items from crashing into the sink after we've been traveling and we open the cabinet for the first time.

After launching a bottle of pancake syrup out of the kitchen cabinet... Sure glad the grocery stores rent carpet cleaners... We work a little harder at keeping doors close while were on the road.

wdk450

Preventative Medicine

Gang:
I am in the process of doing the entrance door coat closet to food pantry modification on my BH3670RL. I am using adjustable metal shelf strips with snap clips to support the shelves. We have decided to put a front "fence" of 1/8 inch plywood 2 inches tall on each of the shelves secured with Gorilla glue to help prevent heavy item suicide escapes from the closet.
I looked around at replacement latches, but because there are so many, I don't want to spend the money. I plan to go through all the cabinets, remove the latch metal striker, and re-bend the bump in the striker for more holding power. I'll post back how this works.
One of my previous RV's had cabinets with positive release hidden latches. These held well, but we had to put arrow stickers on the cabinets to find the latch release points on the cabinet door edges.
I am already doing the mini-bungees on the dual cabinets, and may add some hidden screws for mini bungees on the single door cabinets. The drawer bar also sounds like a great idea - maybe I can add a stop on the wood trim at the bottom of the drawers, and a screw eye at the back of the stove counter to hook a bungee to the rod.
We opened our door after a recent 500 mile trip to find broken "unbreakable" Corelle plates in glass shards all over our kitchen area. That cabinet immediately got the bungee treatment.

caokgafamily

I think I might have a harder time fixing this then I thought. The slide is all the ways out except the top right corner on the forward side. On the inside you can feel the gap if you put your hand in between the slide and the inside seal there is now a 1" gap runnin down and aft about 2or 3 feet till the seal comes in contact. If you ever watch a slide go out the top stops first then the bottom pushes out. So now on mine you can see a slight bend were the bottom forward track connect to the lower frame of the outside slide/wall. I guess it now makes sense that slides are pre tipped out at the top so that the top can come in contact first then the bottom moves out. I guess I'm going to have to take apart that bracket and bend it back.

Any other thoughts ? Thanks for all the post.

Steve

jbeletti

...We opened our door after a recent 500 mile trip to find broken "unbreakable" Corelle plates in glass shards all over our kitchen area. That cabinet immediately got the bungee treatment.

Bill,

Not sure if it's an option for you, but we put our Corelle in 2 lower drawers.

Jim

maldds

I had the same thing happen on my Sundance 2900MK. I placed a 2X4 between the end of the slide and the frame of the fifth wheel on the side that was coming in soonest. I then had my wife run the slide in until it wedged the 2X4 and reversed what the cabinet door had done. It took a couple of times, but the slide went back into line. I bent the brace on the outside for the wheel cover back and replace the hinges on the cabinet door. It's as good as new now. Maybe not the most scientific way to fix something, but it worked. Hope this helps.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I would contact heartland on the slide out after running it through a couple of in and out slide outs. It just may adjust itself.

GeorgeH

Done same thing - got trim piece dislodged - replace with trim nails and color stick to hide the recessed heads.