A/C cleaning

sjrellis

When we use our bedroom a/c, there is a musty, mildewy smell. I guess the unit needs to be cleaned? Has anyone cleaned it or have any other ideas?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
The musty smell comes from condensate left in the pan or on the cooling coil. Make sure drains hole areas on the roof are clear from debris. If possible run the AC on Fan only for 5-10 minutes after final usage of the day to dry out the internal cooling coil area. Last resort is cleaning the cooling coil itself from the roof...you will need tools, a coil cleaner mixture, small pump sprayer and compressed air will be needed. http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Hydro-Balance-Evaporator-Coil-Cleaner-18oz_W0QQitemZ220412260200QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3351982f68&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

sjrellis

Thanks for the info. But, that does not seem to be the source. He cleaned it this morning and it is still the same. We've put the vent doo-dads on the roof last summer and that did not help. We are going to change the thingys under the sinks this week. It is shameful to have a bedroom a/c, need it, and not be able to use it! Any other ideas about source of odor going through the a/c?:mad:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
OK....i thought you said the smell was coming from the AC outlet vents. Did you see water laying in the cooling coil pan when you cleaned it? The larger condensing coil can be seen from the roof but thats not the problem. . Remember the cooling coil is internal can not be seen with out some disassembly of the unit. (1-1.5 hour job). I have been working HVAC for 15 years and 99% of the time the smells come from a blocked condensate drain, or the unit being install out of level causing the drain to run uphill.

sjrellis

Sorry, it DOES come from the vents when it is on. Jim only cleaned the unit from outside! So, it sounds like he has another bigger job ahead of him. Thanks again for the follow-up.