"New Owner" Electrical Question

WVUFan

When it arrives, will I be able to run my new RV (3670RL Big Horn) at a campground with 30 amp electrical service??? Please tell me I can!!!

Sorry, I'm a knucklehead when it comes to electrical....

:confused:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yea! You will most certainly be able to run your coach on a 30 amp service. The only thing required would be an adapter for 50 to 30 amp. You will also need to watch you usage of appliances. You most likely will not run two AC's at the same time or AC, microwace and coffee pot together, but you will be fine. Running your HW heater on LP will help as well. Worst case is a blown breaker outside. There are many campgrounds that only offer 30 amp. Just make sure you have the proper adapters. Good luck with your new Big Horn. We love ours.
Peace
Dave

Last edited:

lhetsler

30 amp service

Yes, you absolutely can. You will need a 50 amp female to 30 amp male adapter. You will be able to run one air conditioner and lights. Other appliances you may have to be careful, but your circuit breakers will let you know if you try to draw to much, especially with heating elements, such as hair dryers, electric hot plates and such. But really, probably won't have much problem. Have done it many times.

SmokeyBare

Yes... by using a 30 Amp Male to 50 Amp Female Adapter connection...

Most RV Dealers or Supply places will have exactly what you need.

Link of what they look like: http://slesolar.com/items/item2571.htm

IF you have 2 A/C units... then you may have problems with BOTH running with only 30 Amp... but otherwise you should have no issue running the A/C... and Microwave and TV together...

Have FUN Camping !!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Your 50 amp to 30 amp adapter is simply a wire which allows you to plug into the 30amp outlet. It will change the 50 amp 4 prong plug to the 30 amp 3 prong plug. You can find one at any rv accessory supply store and most Wal-Marts that have an RV section have them also. Every 50 amp RV should not be without one.

Bobby A

Our new unit came with the adapter, not sure if the manufacture supplied it or the dealer, but it was in my rig.