Stove Guard - Explosion Danger

Boca_Shuffles

My wife and I left our two bearded collies in the trailer when we went to the pool for a short time. When we came back, we could smell propane.

It appears that one of the dogs had stood up on two legs to check to see if the breakfast rolls left on the range were reachable. In the process, the dog's paw pushed in the gas knob and turned on the gas.

This type of problem can occur just about all stoves in RV's.

We were lucky that we came back before there was a problem, either from lethal gas or an explosion.

We solved this problem with a plastic cutting board that has a 90 degree angle. This cutting board was originally designed to protect the front of the cabinet top during normal use. By sliding the main part of the cutting board through the oven handle, the 2 inch "lip" will cover the stove controls. You just lift up the board when you need to use the stove.

Another option is to turn off your propane if are going to be away from the trailer with the full size dogs inside.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
A three year old grandson tried the same tricks. Luckily we were in the trailer when he did it. :)
The cutting board is a great idea.

Boca_Shuffles

We got the cutting board online at

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/mercado/search.do?freeText=173146&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

The size we got is 16" x 18". Our new 3055 has a Magic Chef with less room between the posts of the oven handle, so the 16" needs to be smaller. So measure the width between the posts.

I left the plastic bag on the cutting board for better visibility in the picture.

The pictures are with SOB. We pick up our 2010 BH 3055 on 6/4/09. :D

Attachments

• DSC_0041.jpg
    DSC_0041.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0042.jpg
    DSC_0042.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0043_2.jpg
    DSC_0043_2.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

enthuz

Nice. I will share with those I know and meet with pets. It is always the simplest ideas that serve us best...think paper clip and safety pin.:)

sdgirl

Thank God nothing happened. Thanks so much for the advise and pictures. Where did you buy the cutting board?