Cupboard / cabinet hinges??

skyguy

Anyone have a source for those cabinet / cupboard hinges???

This weekend we joined the "Gee, I thought all the doors were closed when I moved the slides" club....

Fortunately, we just customized a couple of hinges... but it sure looked a lot WORSE at first!!

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I got my hinges at either Lowes or Home Depot can't remember which. The problem I had was that they all had the right style but one was out of the right finish on the hinge. I would suggest to take one with you to match because the finish on a couple were close......Kenny

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You'd almost want to get into the self-closing Blum (or "Euro") hinges, but if you're not into cabinet making, they might pose a challenge to you. I don't think any of the face frame style hinges have a self-closing feature. Best to make sure all doors have the latches installed on them and you make it part of your departure "checklist" to physically check every door.

jimtoo

He he he... "CUSTOMIZED" !!!! :D A new word for crunching:eek:, messing up a cabinet door:eek: or hinges :mad:with a slide.:D

Just gotta love all the people on this forum. None No place is better than the Heartland Owners Forum.:D

Jim M

JohnDar

He he he... "CUSTOMIZED" !!!! :D A new word for crunching:eek:, messing up a cabinet door:eek: or hinges :mad:with a slide.:D

Just gotta love all the people on this forum. None No place is better than the Heartland Owners Forum.:D

Jim M

Yeah, I "customized" a cabinet door knob on our TT when I was putting out the dinette slide and a folding chair got caught next to it. Bent the daylights out of the knob screw and embedded the knob into the door frame. Finally managed to get the bent screw out and replaced it and the door looked almost good as new. Made one heck of a noise when it happened, though.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Do the newer Bighorns have the European Hinges? They should be available at home centers and should be easy to replace. Like John mentioned, they're a bit tricky to work with. Our older Bighorn has the basic cheap face frame hinges. I found some spring loaded hinges that would work with face frames to replace them but don't want to go through the trouble of filling the holes and refinishing.

JohnDar

The hardwood face frames and doors that Heartland uses will work great with Blum or the "Euro" hinges. Only problem is mounting them if you're not familiar with them. As a hobby woodworker, I've used them on some cabinets I've made for the home and have a jig to position them. If you can use basic tools, it's probably not that difficult to put them on, but you will have to fill the holes left by the original face frame hinges.

DennisZ

I solved my 2 "problem" doors by installing the old style RV cabinet door locks. These locks replace the existing door knob and require you to pull the knob out to release the lock. I've customized 2 of my doors, the first was the door under the kitchen counter that the entertainment slide took out (first trip out), and the door on the linen closet in bedroom (this one took out the door and the frame). I haven't had a problem since I replaced the latchs.

Dennis

skyguy

I got my hinges at either Lowes or Home Depot can't remember which. The problem I had was that they all had the right style but one was out of the right finish on the hinge. I would suggest to take one with you to match because the finish on a couple were close......Kenny

Found them at Lowe's... not the exact finish, but these go on the doors way over by the bed, and nobody will notice....

This forum is the greatest for problem solving!!

Thanks to everyone for the contributions...:D:D

Mels Musty Music

Just wanted to add that I have replaced 5 of my cabinet latches with the ones that Dennis used and they are great. I still have 3 more to do and all three slides will be fully protected from future accidents.

Thanks Dennis, for the ordering information. I have to admit I missed the fact that they were packaged 2 to a box so I have a few extras if anybody needs one.

ChopperBill

That is the reason I made a "flap" out of furnace tape and wrote "Check Doors" on it. You have to push the "flap" up to access the switch.
277449318.jpg

BUT, I was running the slide from the front compartment, a month ago, and heard a crunch. Almost took out the knob on the closest door with the bed room slide! Guess I gotta figure out something for that switch.