Optical illusion - or major issue?

itsbeertime

Picked up the new 3250TS and brought it home and while looking out the drivers side rearview mirror down the side of the trailer it looks like the trailer is going down the road crooked. It looks like the rear end is hanging out. This is looking in the regular flat mirror, not the convex mirror. Are me eyes playing tricks on me or do I need to get this checked? Is it possible for the axles to not be square with the frame? Please tell me I'm crazy and nothing is wrong, but I can see the entire drivers side of the trailer and I can't see the far side.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have the same visual of the drivers side of the trailer as you are mentioning. I had to have my wife tow the trailer so I could follow in a seperate vehicle and I was able to determine it's tracking was OK. I compared the sides of the trailer to the centerline of the road and the white stripe on the passenger side looking to see if they were parallel or at least close to it.

SmokeyBare

Pretty good guess your mirrors are not quite as wide as your FifthWheel... which gives you an angle look back... making you think it's not running straight and true.

itsbeertime

Glad to hear I'm not totally crazy. Thanks! My previous 5th wheel I got somewhat the same look down the drivers side, but when I lined it up with the lines on the road it looked ok. This one it was hard to do that with since there was so much traffic over the weekend, but it looks off judging by the lines, too. Also on the previous one I could see down *both* sides. I have TTT aftermarket mirrors that extend out well past the trailer. I guess I'm going to have to find a place I can stop parallell to a line and look up and down it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you are unsure you are tracking straight you can have the axle alignment checked at a trailer, wheel and frame shop. Some truck stops have that type of facility also. Mine was off and found that out when I changed to the Mor-ryde IS. The other way you can find out is when your trailer tire wear wrong. Of course you find that out when your tires get ruined.

HRAI

One thing you can try (now I know this is not scientific so all you mechanics out there give me a break!!!) is to run your truck and trailer through a puddle of water and then in a straight line on dry pavement. Then go out and measure the distances between the trailer marks on the pavement and the wheels of your TV. They should be perfectly centered. If not, you definitely have a trailer going dogwise down the highway with all the accompanying problems that can incure, such as higher fuel consumption, uneven or accelerated tire wear, premature death, children laughing at you, etc...

Now let's go for a beer :)

Guy

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Another way to check is to run a string from your kingpin to each axle. They should measure the same.

itsbeertime

Lol, I'm ready for the beer. It's a little too early in the day yet though. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the cheap and easy water and tire marks idea for a starter and then I guess I'll find a frame shop somehow/somewhere. Of course the dealer said it's not possible for the axles to be off. I highly question that knowing what I know of the RV industry. But I would like to find out before the wonderful tires that came with my unit explode sooner than they normally would.

itsbeertime

Oh, thanks for the string trick too! That I can do right in the back yard tonight...with a beer. Oops, better make it *before* the beer. :)

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
After getting the tracking settled, it's time to get signed on to attend the rally in Sept with the Virginia Owner's Chapter:) (I'm not shy about putting in a pitch for the group:eek:).

Gus

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Lol. I seem to have heard about this Chapter before. :) When, where, how, who, what? :D

Check out the rally info here. We've got 18 rigs signed up so far. It's gonna be fun!

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=9626

Email me at: g_funderburg@yahoo.com (note: there is an underscore between the g and f [e.g. g_fun...]) if you have any questions. We'd love to have you join us.

Gus