Surge suppressor

jimpav

Hi......Without having seen how the 35DSRL is built, I'd like to know where a good place would be to cut into the main power feed to hardwire a Progressive surge suppressor? It would be nice to access the space in the back of the trailer where the 50 amp service cord enters, but I can't find any access panels. I don't want to take apart half to trailer to do this install. The only other place would be next to the power converter, wherever that is. I do not want to use the external types for fear of theft, damage, etc.
Going forward, it would be a nice idea to offer it as an option to perspective buyers. Over/under/wrong voltage is not a good thing. Thanks

TXBobcat

Fulltime
In another thread it was shown how to hard wire a surge protector. They went in from the basement and disconnected the power cord from the converter. Added in some heavy gage wire from the surge protector to the converter and connected external power connection to the surge protector.

BC

wdk450

Right Electrical Circuitry Place for Surge Protector

Group:
Unless I didn't understand something completely, connecting your surge protector on the line going to the power converter would just protect the power converter, not the Air Conditioner, microwave, sound system, TV's, etc.
You need to connect the surge protector between your power inlet and your A.C. power distribution/breaker panel to protect everything.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You will protect you entire coach if you do it right. Disconnect the supply line that goes to the breaker panel. Hook that line up to the input side of your EMS. Get about five or six feet of 6/3 with ground cable. Then connect one end to the breaker panel and the other end to the output side of the EMS. By not cutting the supply line you will be able to take your EMS with you, should you ever get a different coach. Be certain that you disconnect your shore power before working on your electrical system.
Peace
Dave

jimpav

Cookie.....that's exactly right..... Connect the supply line to the breaker panel, etc. I just thought it would be easier (?) if I could get at the connection to the marine 50 amp receptacle in the back of the trailer, and mount the EMS back there someplace. I haven't taken out the breaker panel yet to see how much room there is with the converter etc. all stuffed in there.
Has anyone done this in the new 35DSRL model yet?
Thanks