Michelin tire size and clearance?

Rmcgrath53

I am doing research on replaceing my 16 inch rimmed Goodyear Marathon tires with the Michelin xps ribs. I was wondering if anyone has replaced them. Is there enough room? and are the Marathons "alright"?
I have a 2997 bhs sundance with the upgraded axles and 16 inch rims.
Thanks
Ron

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a Bighorn 3400 RE and changed out the tires to Michelin XPS Ribs. They are only about 1 inch larger in diameter. when you put one on a rim you only change the clearance above the tire by 1/2 inch, but it changes the distance between the tires by 1 inch. The distance between the tires is the most critical concern.

Hope this helps.
BC

Rmcgrath53

Thanks Bob I dont know if the Sundance has the same conscern as the BH.Youre is working alright?
Ron

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ron, you have to do the math as far as clearance. Check the clearance with your existing tires and find the dimensions of both tires and see if they will work. If it were me, I'd stay with the Marathons. I went to Goodyear G614's on our Bighorn only after finding a bubble in a tire and having about 12,000 miles on them. I haven't heard of near as many issues with Marathons as I have other brands of tires made in China. I don't know if they are made to Goodyear's specs or not but I think a reputable dealer would stand behind the tire if a problem does occur. Watch your pressures, do visual inspections often and while traveling, check temperatures every time you stop. Not for a degree reading but for a tire hotter than the others, keeping in mind that the tires on the sunny side of the trailer will be warmer than the other side.

Netem

I think I remember someone saying the Mich. ribs were to tall for the Sundances with 16 in. wheels. I too would like to get the China bombs off my trailer but the only tires I've heard would fit are Maxis and they are not in my area so even if you find them could be a problem if you have a tire go bad on the road. Don't you just love everything being moved to China.

Rmcgrath53

Well the last trip I was very consciece about traveling 65 or under. I have been checking the pressure before any trip. I also just bought covers and installed them at the wheels, for I keep it at a site thats 15 minutes from our house for 450 dollars a season includes water and electric. Have to hire a guy for 15.00 to pump the waste. The gray goes in a drywell
I think all st tires are china manu so I dont know what direction to go.
If the marathons are holding up maybe I will keep them. Trouble is its to late after an event.
Ron

Netem

Maybe a 10 ply LT tire would be the way to go if we can find one that will fit the Sundances.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I think I remember someone saying the Mich. ribs were to tall for the Sundances with 16 in. wheels. I too would like to get the China bombs off my trailer but the only tires I've heard would fit are Maxis and they are not in my area so even if you find them could be a problem if you have a tire go bad on the road. Don't you just love everything being moved to China.

Discount Tire can get you the Maxxis tires. Their E 10 PR rated 16" tire is 30.8" tall. (235/80R16) When i find a deal on some 16" wheels thats the tire i'm buying.