AC Switch?

ct0218

I got the stacking W/D and bedroom heat pump installed yesterday. The salesman still can't understand how he missed ordering it! After the Dometic H/P was installed we concluded that there was no wall switch, H/P unit on/off switch, or on/off control by the thermostat. So, my question to those with the factory 2nd air or H/P unit--how is yours switched on and off? The only way I could turn it off was to turn off the 120V breaker, and a conventional ceiling mounted switch would not be difficult to install myself (2 1/2 hours one way to the dealer). Just curious>

Cooper

Mine has an on off switch on the bottom of the thermostat. I help them get the unit out of the box and the thermostat with the on off switch was with it.
How's the weather in Maggie Valley my wife is visiting our son there this week.

jpmorgan37

Clark;
When Butch installed mine, he had to install a new thermostat, control unit on the wall between the w/d closet and bedroom. I have the option of A/C, Heat Pump, Fan and On/Off on the mode switch. Like Cooper, I also have a On/Off switch on the bottom of the thermostat. Hope this helps.

John

ct0218

Maggie Valley temps are great, rainy today and thru weekend. John, you then have 2 thermostats? This H/P unit has all the controls on the end panel, every mode, except off. My factory thermostat has an on/off switch on the bottom also, but it only controls the main ducted H/P. There was not an additional thermostat on the box, and not sure how it would work with the mechanical switches/thermostats that are built into this unit.

jpmorgan37

Yes, I have two thermostats. The main A/C-Heat Pump-Heat Strip is by the steps going to the bedroom. The bedroom unit is on the wall (washer/dryer closet) by the dresser in the bedroom.

John

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
CT0128,

Where do you like to stay in Maggie Valley? We will be coming through Maggie Valley on our way to Happy Holidays in Cherokee for the Memorial Day weekend. It would be nice to find a good CG without towing over the mountain.
Phil

ct0218

I actually have a log home there (I sell them). I have a membership at Pride Resort, at US 276 and I-40. Nice CG, and super people there. Seldom stay there now that I have my log home finished, but I will store my Landmark there 'cause there is no way I'll get that up my mountain road. John, does your 2nd H/P have controls on the unit, or is it strictly operable by a thermostat? I guess I'll have to ask Dometic if mine can be controlled by a thermostat.

jpmorgan37

Clark;
It is strictly operated by the thermostat. No controls on the unit itself. I ordered the coach with the A/C-Heat Pump but it came through with just the A/C. Butch had a driver going to Heartland for another RV and he picked up the correct unit. So when he installed it the wiring was there but he had to change the thermostat.

John

ct0218

Looks like I have an entirely different unit then, and it is doubtful that a wall mounted thermostat can be used. The wall mount is better, but I can live with what I have-as soon as I put a switch in so I can turn it off!

jpmorgan37

I really like the bedroom A/C. When we were in Texas and it was hot, I could turn that unit on and it would blow through the door way into the main living area and keep it cool downstairs and you didn't have the noise from the main unit. At night, we would run the main unit and shut off the one in the bedroom so it was quiet when we slept. Clark, do you want the model number on mine?

John

ct0218

No, they have this one installed. I never specified one with a wall mounted thermostat, just a 13.5 K btu heatpump in the bedroom. That's what they put in. The way you're running yours sounds like a good idea. So far it hasn't been really hot in Tallahassee when we've been in the coach, but that is a lot of square footage to keep cool on a hot day, even with dual pane windows. It will be shaded most of the day and that will certainly help too. John, where are you set up now?

jpmorgan37

We run the heat pump the same way when it's cool. Right now, I'm in northern Minnesota, about four hours north of the twin cities. We are going to be heading for Illinois on the 25th of May to visit with some long time friends and then to the Rally with a stop at MOR/ryde and another at LSI RV for some warranty work. Then on to Pennsylvania to visit our new Great Grand daughter and then on to see some friends, my sister, Sue's brother and then back to Minnesota to do a little fishing and get ready to head back to Texas in late September. This being retired is busy, busy, busy and I love it.

John

ct0218

Sounds like me. I find myself getting more and more tied to schedules, which is the opposite direction I'd rather be going. Trout fishing? Fly?

jpmorgan37

Walleye, Northern-I never learned to fly fish. Spinning or bait casting and a lot of time trolling. I used to go to Canada every year for lake trout right after ice out but haven't done that the past couple of years. My best friend (other than my bride) died while were were fishing up there in 2001 and I sorta lost interest after that.

ct0218

I can understand how the death could do that. Fishing is fun and relaxing regardless of the method. I've fly fished since my teens growing up in FL