Staticy Radio Reception - Intermitent

itsbeertime

Just picked up our 2010 Big Country and a couple of things are very obvious with the radio. When listening to the radio on FM, when you walk up to it to change the station it gets very staticy, like the station is fading out. As soon as you move away from it it goes back to normal. Same thing happens when you turn on the TV which is right above the radio. The rubber radio antenna is mounted on the side of the slideout directly behind the radio and tv. I tried adjusting it but it didn't help. Ideas?

JENSENRVdirect

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers and the Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance in this matter.

Can you confirm that the rubber antenna is in fact connected to the ANTENNA jack located on the rear of the radio? With the antenna located outside of the vehicle, reception should not be affected by inside movement near the radio. It may be possible that the antenna is not connected correctly or that there may be a different, wire-type antenna located behind the radio on the inside of the coach.

I look forward to hearing from you.

JENSEN and Voyager Tech Support Team

Bobby A

There is another post in the BigHorn entertainment section, I have the Samsung DVD combo and had the same problem. I followed the mod that Ray T mentioned about useing a splitter and going to your powered roof antenna. It worked very well, just gotta remember to turn the antenna boost on when playing FM radio. Hope this helps.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That rubber antenna is a POC. The connector on its cord(which is almost 10 feet too long) does not fit the Samsung receiver, so somebody jerry-rigged an adapter for it. I went with the splitter fix and the radio works great now.

itsbeertime

Thanks all. I'll check it all out. Anyone have a link to the splitter fix? I didn't see it yet. I didn't like the rubber antenna anyway, and why the heck they put it where they did is beyond me. My last unit had a metal antenna on the roof with a spring mount. It worked fine for reception and never had an issue with it hitting branches or anything.

Nevermind. I think I just found it. I just need to go look and see what parts I need. I should have a splitter and cable laying around.

itsbeertime

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers and the Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance in this matter.

Can you confirm that the rubber antenna is in fact connected to the ANTENNA jack located on the rear of the radio? With the antenna located outside of the vehicle, reception should not be affected by inside movement near the radio. It may be possible that the antenna is not connected correctly or that there may be a different, wire-type antenna located behind the radio on the inside of the coach.

I look forward to hearing from you.

The antenna wire is connected to the radio. Even closing the screen door makes the radio fade out. Pulling the radio out of it's hole and just holding my hand around the coax improves the reception greatly. I don't know if it's the radio, the antenna, the coax, or all 3.

JENSENRVdirect

Based on your description, I would suspect that the antenna is the issue. Please test with a different antenna to see if reception improves.

itsbeertime

Radio Reception Troubles - Still!

So, I followed all the suggestions for improving radio reception. Went out to Radio Shack and bought a Motorola plug to fit the back of my radio and cut the F connector of a RG-59 patch cable and put Motorola end on. Added a splitter from the "Cable Out" jack behind the TV with one side feeding the TV and the other the radio. Turned on antenna booster. No change. Put up TV antenna. No change. Rotated TV antenna. Minor change. Walked back over to radio and as soon as I got to it it faded out, AGAIN. Walk away from it and it works again. Close screen door it fades out. I'm now beyond witts end. Any suggestions beyond putting it out in the driveway and running over it with the truck?

Last edited by a moderator:

itsbeertime

Based on your description, I would suspect that the antenna is the issue. Please test with a different antenna to see if reception improves.

And where am I to get said different antenna?

I disconnected the antenna all together. I followed the advise of others on this board and added a splitter from the TV antenna and booster. No improvement. Bad reception still. And STILL when I walk up to the radio the reception (what there is) gets worse. I'm out of ideas. This thing is brand new and doesn't work. What can you do for me?

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Radio reception

I also have been disappointed with radio reception in my Bighorn 3055. I keep a small clock radio in the bedroom and it gets better reception than the receiver that came with the unit. I have noticed that Heartland now offers an exterior radio antenna, I think it is an option. Not sure what it would take to have one added to our trailers but I am sure it would be an easy job.

itsbeertime

I also have been disappointed with radio reception in my Bighorn 3055. I keep a small clock radio in the bedroom and it gets better reception than the receiver that came with the unit. I have noticed that Heartland now offers an exterior radio antenna, I think it is an option. Not sure what it would take to have one added to our trailers but I am sure it would be an easy job.
I have the external "rubber duckie" antenna. Either it or the radio or both are worthless. Although after disconnecting it and connecting to the tv antenna and booster I'm leaning to the radio being the problem.

jbeletti

itsbeertime,

Did you turn on the TV antenna amplifier? If yes, then you have done what you can. Sounds to me like it may be the Jensen unit.

Jim

Bobby A

I think the majority of us that did the splitter fix and it was successful we have the Samsung combo unit.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes, as I mentioned earlier, the splitter fix worked for us with the Samsung DVD/radio unit. Before doing it, we got the fade in/fade out when we could get a station. I do need to find a right angle coax adapter, though, because the tightness of the space in back of the unit has flexed the coax cable to the point that the insulation is splitting. Hasn't affected reception, though.

itsbeertime

Update. I just wanted to make sure those following this post and trying to help me saw this post titled "A big thank you to ASA" - //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=10505 . We received the new radio just before going out of town and hope to install it in the next day or two now that we're back home. Thanks again to the folks at ASA!