Extended 7 year warranty package

sunriverman

Deliver this afternoon of our new Sundance 2900MK fifth wheel. Dealer is offering seven year extended warranty of coach etc for $2995. Any claims not used against the $2995 is refunded. Also 7 year protection on tires and rims for $495, includes replacement due to anything except lack of tire tread depth.Supposedly 50% of the dealers new customers of Heartland are buying. What say you all? Sunriverman, in Sunriver. Oregon.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Well it sounds like an interesting offer. Is there a deductible? Does it start at delivery or do you still get the factory's warranty and the warranty supplied by the component manufacturers. Like you said it's refunded if not used so if all the other warranties take precedence, it may be a good deal. As for the tire/wheel warranty, will it cover incidental damage? If you get a great deal on the trailer, it may be worth the extra money. Good Luck with your decision.

jmaguire

We got it because we felt better knowing we were covered. I can do most repairs myself, but you never know what can happen.

grizzlygiant

There are dozens oF such warranties, a few good ones and many poor ones. None are "Heartland plans". The dealer gets a BIG CUT. Many shops may not accept your plan. Good plans are available for about $1300. Google and see for yourself; cut out the 50% dealer markup. Check with an independent repair shop and see if your plan would be accepted.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Check out Good Sams warrenty plans and roadside assistance. The 7 year plan at our dealer was $1400.00. I think that is way TOO high. Bob

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I also think the cost is way too high. We payed les than $2000 Canadian. Look at the money back thing. Ours gives us our money back,BUT in a voucher at the dealer's to buy some product from him. Money back-- yes, but with a catch...
Next unit I buy will not have an extended warrenty. Most things can be fixed by a somewhat handy person. These rigs are not rocket science.
Consumers reports say to not buy extended warrenty. Some will disagree because the odd one has used it.

sunriverman

Thanks to all for your thoughts. One catch is that no money is returned if you use the waranty at all! As I called other dealers to see how it works, all indicated they were familiar with the company. They diagnosis the problem, call the ins co, get aproval and then proceed. If you elect not to have them do the work then a fee. Sometimes the ins covers less than the repair shops costs, you pay. Heartland's one year warranty runs concurrent with the first year of the seven year. I will check out other programs. Rod

Uncle Rog

Howdy, we have never bought an extended warranty on anything, rv's, auto's or even electronics.
I did buy a laptop quite a while back that included an extended warrany on the display, free of charge, and still was a fair price.
We usually buy pretty good quality products that have good one or two year warranties from the manufacturers.
In the case of our horn the one year HL warranty covered all the issues we had with the QC problems.
Tredit tire stepped up to the plate, under the 12 month rule, and reimbursed us for new tires and a damaged wheel we had to replace.
The Lippert, two year I believe, covered the suspension items we had to deal with.
Most issues are discovered in the first year in my opinion.
I would only consider an extended plan if I was not planning to use the unit during the warranty period, but then why make the purchase.........
Just my thoughts................