Bighorn changes in 2006

Eyecamp

I understand there were several changes to the Bighorn during the 2006 model year. Was one of these the addition of the Mor/Ryde suspension? What were the others? I would like to find one in dealer inventory so we don’t miss summer camping. But I have not found any close to me. So I am expanding my search area, it there anyway to tell from a picture whether or not it is an early or late model. I don’t trust the dealers know, or to be honest about it. I don’t want to end up driving 200-300 miles only to find that the dealer just told me what I wanted to hear.
Thanks,

Darren

svd

Darren,
We have an older 2006, and I noticed the following changes, there could be more:

Different design in aluminum wheels

All wood trim over slides changed to wood trim with upholstery strip in the center

conventional suspension to Morryde

bathroom sink moved from curbside to off curbside next to shower stall (this adds cabinets on the curbside where the sink was)

small seat in shower deleted on later models

overhead cabinets in livingroom and over dining table changed center glass panel with floral design to solid panel oak

dining table changed from pedestal base with storage under the top, to mission style with legs and no under top storage

low back oak chairs with storage under each seat to oak high back mission style without underseat storage

overhead cabinets in bedroom changed from glass panel centers to fluted glass centers (all cabinets still have oak doors)

walk in closet narrowed to allow linen closet on the left side

all entertainment center cabinet doors changed from oak solid panel to smoked glass center panel

window curtains to rigid panel type with curtain material (not sure what they are called)

curtains and trim in navy blue no longer available

single glass panel door on closet/controls area immediately to the right as you enter changed to double glass doors

Thats all I can remember, let me know if you have questions. I think our unit was manufactered in December or January.

Steve

Last edited:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Other changes

We have an early model 2006 and I have definitely noticed the new changes.

The headboard for the bed has changed from a completely upholstered unit to a wooden unit with cloth insets. Much nicer!

Outside step light. Wish they'd had that on mine!

I believe they added a switched (switch in mirrored closet just inside door) outlet high up on the outside doorside for lights on the awning. Better be a tall person to plug anything in this puppy!

They also split the inside mirrored door into (2) doors instead of (1) large door. Much better, again, with this was in mine!

Hope this helps

ChopperBill

"dining table changed from pedestal base with storage under the top, to mission style with legs and no under top storage

low back oak chairs with storage under each seat to oak high back mission style without under seat storage"

Oops! Now I know Ma ain't going to be happy! :mad: Under seat storage and pedestal base is shown in web site! Its a heck of a lot harder for us long legged folks to get under the table without the pedestal base.
Lets see,
No safe
No shower seat
No under seat storage
No pedestal base
All items that I thought we were getting. OK! Whats next? :confused:

Trap

All I know is the more I am around the more I realize that ordering one can get scary. Most of the changes so far aren't a big issue with us, but I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money and not know what I'm getting. I can't even get pictures of the queen bed option. Having some sort of nite stand is very important to us.

Getting Nervous Trap

jbeletti

Trap,

Please consider calling Coley Brady at the factory or posting in the Bighorn Ask the Factory forum to ask if he can go out on the line to snap a photo of a Queen Bed / Night Stand arrangement and post it to the forum for you and all to see.

I say this as Coley monitors the Bighorn Ask the Factory forum and not the Prospective Owners Questions forum. This forum is pretty much user to user. With the King Bed being standard, it is my sense that no Bighorn owners that have read your thread and have access to their trailer, actually have the Queen Bed.

But we sure want to see you get your question answered.

Jim

Last edited:

Eyecamp

WOW, thanks for the replies. Seems like a lot of changes, I wonder why? Is the Mor/ryde suspension significantly better? I wonder if it is worth the wait?

Still looking,

Darren

svd

Darren,
I think the only way you will get one without Morryde is to by from someones stock. Personally, I decided to go without it. I found out that it can be added easily enough if I really decided I need it, for around $800-$900 at the Morryde factory. We felt like the unit we bought was a good enough price that we could add it later if needed. We have only towed it a few hundred miles, but nothing inside the cabinets have moved, so at this point I don't see why I need it. I have read that if a coach is balanced well enough, there shouldn't be any problems.

There isn't anything we saw in the newer units that would prevent us from buying one. In my opinion, the shower seat really isn't useful, my wife may use it to shave her legs, but you really couldn't sit on it. And for us, we don't have a seat in the shower/tub at home, so no big deal. As far as the safe goes, I don't think I would ever really use it (we don't have any money left anyway!) It is a lock box really, and the panel it attaches to under the bed is easily removed, so it isn't secure. I think the decision to dispense with the safe and use the money elsewhere was a good one.

I think they are constantly improving the units, and that is why there are so many changes. Once again, we are very happy so far, and I think you all will be too. We did a lot of looking before this purchase!

ChopperBill

Just my added words on the shower seat. It probably is to small to sit on as is the shower in our house we installed. Yep wife uses it for the leg shaving deal and me having had the same hip replaced twice use it to wash my feet. Cant bend over that far or raise my leg high enough. Ya I know too much personal information. :eek:
Yes I would much rather have the late "06" as compared to the early "06" but a lot of that desire was from the web site as the only 3055 we saw was and early model.
On the picture deal. There was a post over a month ago that Heartland was going to take some pixs of a 3055 but none was on the line. Looks like it is one of the most sought after models. Would have thought there would have been one built by now.

v92c

Texan
I thought the Morryde suspension was standard. How can I tell if I have it or not. I know that I have shocks. It is discouraging that you cant go by the literature to determine what is an optional or standard. I have an 06 with a safe,
regular curtains not hard one,
a pedastal table and chairs with storage

ChopperBill

Have to guess you have an early model from I have been finding out. They took the shocks off the the Mor/ride. Did away with the regular curtains. Hope they still have the pedestal table and the seat storage.

Trap

I have asked

Jim Beletti said:
Trap,

Please consider calling Coley Brady at the factory or posting in the Bighorn Ask the Factory forum to ask if he can go out on the line to snap a photo of a Queen Bed / Night Stand arrangement and post it to the forum for you and all to see.

I say this as Coley monitors the Bighorn Ask the Factory forum and not the Prospective Owners Questions forum. This forum is pretty much user to user. With the King Bed being standard, it is my sense that no Bighorn owners that have read your thread and have access to their trailer, actually have the Queen Bed.

But we sure want to see you get your question answered.

Jim

Jim I have asked this in Bighorn-Ask The Factory section a week ago and the only response I got was from Chopperbill. I have talked to some of the members etc. But ther is a bit of confusion. I guess i'll try again. It's frusturating when your seriously considering a unit and you cannot obtain the information that you require. :confused:

jbeletti

Trap,

Sorry that I missed seeing your question posed to Coley in the BH ATF forum. Please repost to him in the BH ATF forum unless you'd rather give him a call.

Jim

ChopperBill

I see that the Bighorn picture gallery has been updated and no longer shows the shower with seat. And after carefully looking at the colored literature you can see through the glass that it appears to be no shower seat. Hey, I came to the conclusion THERE AIN'T NO SHOWER SEAT! Now lets see what else I can find to complain about. :D
Still a **** fine looking camper!

ChopperBill

Trap: Deb ordered hers with a queen bed and is to pick it up shortly. She may be able to take a couple of shots of it for you. If not ours should be here in a few weeks or so and I could do the same if it isn't too late.

svd

Let me also add that my earlier post referenced our early 2006 that was built in November 2005. The later changes I referenced were on units I saw on the dealers lot in the middle of January. I have not seen anything newer than that.

Deb

Deb
Chopper Bill is right. Looks like we will be picking up our 3055 on May 31st. It is ready on the 19th - but we can't make arrangements to go that early. I will take our camera and if I have an internet connection will send pictures. Any suggestions as the best way to send pictures to the forum?

Deb

Trap

Hey that be great if Deb or Chopper Bill could post some pics of the queen bed arrangement. As were really curious to see it. As far as posting pics goes I'm afraid I can't help.

Thanks Trap

Scott

Dinette Table

Just a clarification - IF you have a table that is not a pedestal and does not have storage in it - it did NOT come with your Bighorn. It must have been replaced at the dealership, because we have been using a pedestal table with storage for quite a while now.
The dinette chair supplier had some problems with supply for a couple of weeks and we had to replace the chairs with a substitute that did not have the small lift up storage areas in them.
It was either that or not ship unit for a number of weeks.
A reality of manufacturing is that every once in a while, one of our 200+ vendors lets us down and we are forced to adapt and come up with alternatives. It happens with fabrics which have to be substituted, or appliances or televisions that have to be substituted.
We wish it didn't happen, but it does. If you feel like you were short changed on your dinette chairs - not having the small storage in them - I encourage you to talk to your dealer about receiving some sort of discount for that inconvenience. I think that is fair and reasonable and would do whatever I could from our standpoint to support you in that.
I am sorry that such substitutions have to occur from time to time, but I can assure you that there is no conspiracy to cheat anyone out of anything.
The seat in the shower is coming back as soon as the supplier can finish the mold and get us product; the table has always been the same; the safe did go away on purpose.

FYI

ST