2500 HD with toolbox

jmaguire

I bougt a Eagle ridge 35DSRL and was told there was no way I was going to be able to use my crossover tool box on the truck. I need a box on the truck, and have been looking for something maybe behind the hitch in front of the tailgate that would be easier to remove when we go camping. My question is why won't the toolbox work? It looks like the rig is above it. And how about a low profile instead. Will it work? Any experience would be welcomed. Thanks, John

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
I do not know the exact box you are referring to, but alot of people I have seen have tool boxes in their trucks, I am sure there is some option for you.

If you are talking about behind the hitch, the kingpin would hit it, wouldn't it?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
John,

I would think that if the trailer clears the top of the toolbox and the toolbox fits between the hitch and cab, you shouldn't have any problem. I've got around 5 inches of clearance between my truck bed and the trailer. A low profile toolbox would fit in there easily.

SmokeyBare

John,

It's only a rare occasion you might Risk hitting the Tool box that are above the bed rails... You would have to really be cranking the Fifth Wheel around... backing hard... that might find you in such a position that the Fifth Wheel might push against the tool box... but if you did find your self in such a position... and you didn't notice it until too late... Damage would be to the Fifth Wheel and the tool box... and it might extend to the cab of the truck...

I selected a tool box that was flush to the top rail of the truck... mostly because it held more "Stuff"... I've a Honda Generator inside as well as my hand tools.

Good Luck with your decision.

Jburks

We have a 2500HD long bed and I have a low profile toolbox in front of my hitch with zero problems, I'm not sure if a short bed would allow this but I don't see why not.

jmaguire

Thanks for the replies. I don't see why a low profile won't work. Now I have to buy a new one and sell my old box. Oh well, the joys of camping. I was thinking about using a standard "chest" type box behind the hitch and removing it when we went camping, but I sure like having my tools and supplies that I normally carry in the tool box with me at all times.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I pull with an 08 2500 hd 4wd long bed. My box is a crossover that sits above the bed about 5 inches. I have tried to jack the trailer around to see if I would come close to hitting the box with the trailer. Almost at 90 degrees the pinbox hits the top of the pickup bed and not even close to hitting the tool box with the trailer.

jmaguire

Southernights, I have the same setup except its a shortbed p/u. I guess the only way to know for sure is to do as you have done and install the toolbox and take it for a spin. Thanks for the info.

itsbeertime

I have a foldup bed cover on my 2500HD that folds into 4 sections and sticks up maybe 2-3 inches above the bed behind the cab. My previous unit has a tiny little scratch in the cap from where it touched the corner of the bed cover. It took me a long time to figure out how I did it, but there is this one state park and pulling out of the dump station the exit of the dump station is at 90 degrees to the road and there is a ditch and the main road is narrow so you can't make a wide turn. The next time I was there I watched really closely and almost hit it again. The trailer wheels drop into the ditch and when they do and at the angle you are at the bed cover and cap will come together. I just managed to miss another scratch since I was paying so close attention. So be careful. Werid things happen that you may not think about. If there was not a ditch there it would have been fine.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have the plastic pin box cover on yours, it might contact the sides of the bed in a really tight turn. Especially if you have bed cover rails that stick into the bed area. It may not be a problem since the cover is flexible and there is plenty of gap between it and the pin box itself. I keep an eye on it when backing in, just to be sure.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have a combo box in the front of our truck bed. It has a shallow tool box on top and a 45 gal Diesel fuel tank below. Bought it from http://www.auxtank.com/auxtank/home.asp . They will ship it to you with all the instructions how to install it. They also have the parts to connect it to the fuel gage in the cab with a switch to change tanks. No pumping or gravity feed.

If your looking for a box that goes between the tailgate and the 5th wheel hitch there is one that has a V shape in the middle to let the pin pass over it.

BC