One A/C or Two?

weekendwarrior

Just a bit outside
Hi ladies and gentlemen....This my first post on this site...
My question for you guys concerns the unit that My wife and I are looking at is a 37' Bighorn and comes from the factory w/one A/C unit that is plumbed to cool the entire rig.....
We are current owners of a 29' tag-a-long w/one A/C unit and it cools fine......we were wondering if this single A/C unit would keep the rig cool during the summer months in Texas
Basically this question is our entire holdup on our purchase....we have narrowed down the field to this one unit after a tiring search for the past three months.....I think we are really leaning towards the Bighorn
and any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Ken

jimtoo

Hi weekendwarrior,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the owners family. We have a lot of good people here and also lots of information.

I live in Texas also and I would recommend 2 AC's. The Heartland units are insulated very well, but the one unit just will not do the job and keep you as cool as most of us want.

Jim M

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
I would add the second unit personally but we are very hot-blooded. It will assist in resale if that ever comes into play as well. It is very much worth the extra money.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Anywhere south of the mason dixon line requires the 2nd ac unit. Run the main one during the day, bedroom one at night, & when needed run both. You will be happy.

cjbearden

Visitor
We previously had a BH 3400RL with only one A/C. Many, many times did we wish for that 2nd A/C. When traveling and setting up in hot, humid areas, it would sometimes take all night to ever cool off. Definitely get a 2nd A/C.

We love the 2nd A/C in the Landmark. You might also want to invest in a portable dehumidifier. You will be amazed at the amount of water that thing gathers out of the humid Texas air and other humid locations.

C.J.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Get the second one. If you don't need it don't use it. We use our bedroom A/C at night and when we first setup at our campsite.

BC

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Welcome to the forum and hopefully to the owner's club when/if you become an owner from another Texan. We have a 36' unit with two air conditioners and love having them and it hasn't even gotten to be summer time yet.

Something else to consider is what if one unit should stop working. If you have the second unit, you can still stay reasonably cool. It happened to us in Palacios on the 4th of July. It was no fun to have to put up with no A/C.

caokgafamily

I would have to disagree with everybody else. We live in the deep south and our 1 ac is good enough for us. Yes when its close to 100 and very humid it takes a while to cool down. I shut all the blinds. maybe our problem is we are outside to much. Lets reverse the question, I wish I had the heating element on the ac, we camp alot in the winter and the furnace burns alot of propane.

Just my thoughts...

Steve

Bobby A

I still haven't seen the fine print on the brouchure about needing a 2nd a/c to be confortble in there 100 degree testing they talk about.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We added the second unit when we got the BC. Yes, it helps cool the unit quicker but also the heat element in cooler weather is great. We also like to use the unit to drown out excess noise from the neighbor who enjoy the late night air/gab time.

Dave

Traveling Two
Get the second AC. We optioned for the "option" heater strip in our second AC, it won't heat the RV but it does take the chill out of the air in the bedroom on a cold morning. Good luck and be safe.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We would not have one without the bedroom AC. That was one of our main considerations when looking. We are in Texas alot as our home is there and there is nothing like staying in your RV after a hurricane, while running on a generator when you can only run one AC. It cools the Landmark but not like we like it. But having two does allow us to run the living room AC during the day and the bedroom AC at night when hooked to 30 amp service. Remember you cannot run both AC's at the same time on 30amp service.

NewCyclone

We would not have one without the bedroom AC. That was one of our main considerations when looking. We are in Texas alot as our home is there and there is nothing like staying in your RV after a hurricane, while running on a generator when you can only run one AC. It cools the Landmark but not like we like it. But having two does allow us to run the living room AC during the day and the bedroom AC at night when hooked to 30 amp service. Remember you cannot run both AC's at the same time on 30amp service.

That is why 50 amp is so great!! :p

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have been successfull running both units on 30 amps, ya just don't have anything else on, including the hot water. We camp every year at the beach at a state park which only has 30 amp and temps have been in the 90's. As long as you watch what you do, it can be done. When we want to use the micro, you turn one unit off (we cut the front unit off). The trick is turning it back on when the main unit isn't cycleing.

nemo45

We have two units in our Open Road. They work great together when it is really hot, say 100 deg., but I don't know how anyone can sleep while the bedroom unit is running. They are very noisy. To get around this we run both units during the day when its the hottest and run the main unit only at night. It is much quieter. Our new Big Horn has two A/C units already installed at the factory. This was a must for us.

meandg

crawgator
We just installed the second unit yesterday. It is wonderful. We actually cooled down to 67 by this morning.
After setting up two days ago at 7pm and at 1 in the morning it was still 81 with the one unit we decided to get the second. Watching the temps rise in the coach in the hot sun was another good reason.
This was a good choice for us in Texas....

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
We are staying in Kemah, TX. Just SE of Houston. The heat and humidity, we are told, is unusually high for this time of year. Everyone says "you think this is bad, wait till July and August". We are planning on staying through the summer and figured if it was this bad now, then I didn't want just one A/C in July and August. So we had a bedroom unit installed last Thursday. We had a 15k Carrier V installed. We picked it up on ebay from an RV parts dealer in Florida. We got the unit and the inside control panel for $529 plus shipping, and found a mobile service guy here that came out to the park and istalled it for $165. Felt like we got a good deal all around. It was close to 100 deg here a few days before we got it installed. Cannot believe the difference it makes.

Theresau

Does it help to have the fantastic fan in the bedroom - we ordered that instead of a second a/c. (Didn't want the a/c right over the bed...)