Television Options

HowardBJr

HowardBJr
We have an Augusta at the top of our short list of 5th wheelers. We will full-time in it. We would like some input on options for additional televisions. We most likely will go with high definition Direct TV with TIVO and possibly also go with a second “Free to Air” dish. I would need an A/B switch to control which dish was feeding the television or run a separate feed to an input on one of the televisions for the “Free to Air” system. We like to watch different programs so we will need two satellite boxes or DVD’s so we can each watch the programs we like.

Options are:
  1. 19" LCD Flat Screen TV for bedroom - $680
  2. Local purchase 19” LCD Flat Screen TV for bedroom and install myself
  3. 19" LCD Flat Screen TV for bedroom - $680 and
    13" Kitchen TV & DVD Player - $792
  4. Local purchase 19" LCD Flat Screen TV for bedroom and install myself and
    Local purchase 13" Kitchen TV & DVD Player and install myself
I have not seen any information on where the television and DVD player are installed in the kitchen in the Augusta. Does anyone know? Is it pre-wired for the third television? Kathy likes to watch television while she cooks however I’m concerned it may be too close to the main television to have both on at the same time.

Everyone’s input has been very helpful to us. What do you recommend?

Thanks.

Howard

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I just bought a Vizio 19" LCD for our bedroom. $198 at Sams Club. I have 2 Vizios and have had good luck with them. The 32" in our LR is 3 years old and no issues at all. I have to ask why would you want a free to air receiver when the DVR from Direct TV has 2 tuners and allows you to watch different channels at teh same time on 2 different TV's. An extra RF remote is available. I've also heard (not from experience) that the free to air receivers are tricky and need frequent reprogramming because the satellite companies do things to screw up the FTA reception. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

HowardBJr

HowardBJr
I just bought a Vizio 19" LCD for our bedroom. $198 at Sams Club. I have 2 Vizios and have had good luck with them. The 32" in our LR is 3 years old and no issues at all. I have to ask why would you want a free to air receiver when the DVR from Direct TV has 2 tuners and allows you to watch different channels at teh same time on 2 different TV's. An extra RF remote is available. I've also heard (not from experience) that the free to air receivers are tricky and need frequent reprogramming because the satellite companies do things to screw up the FTA reception. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Ray,

There is some programming available that we would like to watch on "Free to Air" that is not available on Dish or Direct TV. I had not heard about any reprogramming issues. I'll need to check that out. Thanks for the heads up.

Was your bedroom pre-wired for your television? Was your 19" set easy to mount?

Howard

cjbearden

Visitor
Howard,

We have the Augusta that already had two TVs. We use DirecTV with two TIVO boxes so we can record a lot of shows. I record shows I like downstairs and DH records shows for himself up and downstairs. The wiring for upstairs was found in the ceiling speaker opposite the TV.

Our dealer hired a DirecTV employee to wire up our Slimline Satellite and make sure wiring was correct for installation of the HD TIVO boxes. We called DirecTV for a service call to have someone bring the HD TIVO boxes to us and switch out our old boxes. Our setup was the first he had seen in June '08. He was like a kid in a candy store seeing everything already wired up and the satellite on the roof. We thought we were going to have to take him with us but finally convinced him he just needed to hook up the boxes and go back to work. These guys! :)

As for a third TV in the kitchen, that's personal preference but not sure I see the need. The living room TV can be pulled out and turned for the wife to see while cooking. You two may have to compromise on a show. Hmmmm! Seriously, the kitchen can get pretty noisy with the LR TV going, A/C running right overhead over the sink area, maybe the stove vent going, maybe a dehumidifier running, computer processor fans running, etc. She must be a serious cook if she spends that much time cooking?????

We often pause a show, prepare a meal together, then sit down to eat and watch a show. Everyone just has to get in there and figure out what works best for them.

Good luck on your purchase. Hope to read you have joined the HL family.

C.J.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray,
Was your bedroom pre-wired for your television? Was your 19" set easy to mount?
Howard
Howard, the bedroom is prewired. I did run an extra coax from the LR entertainment area to the bedroom for a 2 tuner dvr (future need). The need for the reprogramming was a problem from a few years back. It used to happen when the Dish Network and Direct TV people would "flash" everyones receiver cards in order to prevent them from receiving programs they weren't authorized for. That used to mess up the FTA receivers. Maybe the technology is different now..?? As far as I know, there is no pre-wired area for a TV in the kitchen area of a Landmark. It would be easy enough to do on your owwn though.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We personally do not see a need for a TV in the kitchen when the TV in the living area is only 6 feet away. A better option would be to put a TV in the basement. My opinion.

kkamshop

The bedroom actually has room for a 22" LCD (we found that out when the 19" that came in it was stolen).

We bought a 22" Vizio for the bedroom and got the same 32" Samsung that was stolen for the living room. The Vizio was a lot less than $680 at Walmart.

HowardBJr

HowardBJr
The bedroom actually has room for a 22" LCD (we found that out when the 19" that came in it was stolen).

We bought a 22" Vizio for the bedroom and got the same 32" Samsung that was stolen for the living room. The Vizio was a lot less than $680 at Walmart.

Ken, it looks that the best option for us is to install a 22" television myself and not get the one in the kitchen.

Everyone's input has been VERY helpful.

Thanks.

Howard