Sewer Smell with Ft. Air On

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
:( When front air is on and black tank is almost full the smell :eek:is terrible. I didn't notice this last year with the air on. Is the vent stopped up or is this normal, I hope not.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Bill

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Does the toilet burp back when you flush it? If the vent is stopped up I believe it will burp when flushed. I do not smell the sewer when I run the front air on my Landmark so I do not think this is normal. If it is burping back when you flush as strange as this may seem try filling the toilet completely full of water and flush it. I have had this dislodge something stuck in the vent in the past.

SmokeyBare

Is the Gray water tank valve open when your running the A/C ??

There has been times when I've had the Vent in the bedroom open and the fan pulling air out... combined with the bath vent lid open a little... Fumes will be pulled into the RV from the tank vents.

If ever you find the tank vents are plugged... you can open the cap on the roof... and flush the vent pipe by running water down them. Water pressure and gravity should clear anything inside them.

Marv

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
This may not apply to everyone but when our black tank is almost full, the burping is what usually occurs. I usually let it burp for a day before I dump the tank. We don't have front A/C yet but If our other A/C is running or either of the fantastic fans, the exhaust will pull some odor from the black tank. This occurs mostly when the tank is near full. Especially if I hold the foot valve open a bit too long.

sjrellis

Well, after many trials and tribulations with our bedroom a/c smelling (sometimes sewer smell sometimes mildewy), Jim got the smell gone today! He cleaned the unit from on top of the trailer last weekend. It was not very dirty and did not have any water standing in it. I ran it on fan mode only for 2 days this week to "dry it out". After both of these failed to get rid of the smell, I took off the filters to clean them. (Last summer he put those venturi thingys on the roof vents and that did not help, either). While the filters were out, Jim looked up to see if he could see anything going on from inside. What he came up with was to seal off the space between the roof and the ceiling. I was apprehensive about it, but what else was there to do?! He got 2 cans of spray foam insulation and sprayed it in the opening between the roof and the ceiling. It dried (and expanded!!). Today, we did the test run and voila...NO SMELL! The smell was ALWAYS there when the black tank was drained/cleaned and the br a/c was on. But, NOT TODAY!!! I am a happy camper (pun intended). Because I have done so much research on this, I know that it is a problem! It is my hope that Heartland will go the extra mile and seal between the roof and ceiling to keep the a/c from drawing odor from the tanks!

We have not had the odor problem from the lr a/c, but maybe Jim's fix would work on it? Worth a look-see.

Timbo

Sewer Smelll With Front Air On.

I had the same problem until today. Sometimes when the front air was running, we had a sewer smell coming from the cold air outlet on the front air conditioner. That should be a sealed unit which takes the inside air only and re-cools it and blows it back in the room. Well what I found after taking the cover off in the bedroom, was a ¼ inch gap between the air conditioner and the seal. Our unit sits right beside the sewer vent line on top and when the wind was blowing a certain direction, the sewer smell from the vent pipe was being pulled into the inlet of the air conditioner and blowing in the room. I purchased some aluminum tape and sealed up the gaps, put the inside cover back on and that took care of the problem. So take your cover off, and if you see light, you have a improperly sealed unit. Simply plug it up with tape and your problem will go away.