Electric Fireplace problem

jpjulian

Interesting surprise yesterday when we pulled into South Haven, MI at Sunnybrook RV Resort. I noticed the electric fireplace had become disengaged from the cabinet on the right side and pivoted inward into the cabinet 8-10 inches. Seems there is only one screw holding the fireplace on the left and the right.. The right screw ripped from the cabinet and took a bit of the molding with it. Not sure what it is gonna take to fix the securement problem but has anyone else encountered this??? The molding where the single screw that ripped out now looks like crap. Am I gonna have to replace the cabinet? Not good. We are out of warranty but this seems like a manufacturing defect.

JJ

Niles

We noticed ours was coming loose,before anything happened. What I did was put a little spacer in between the wall and the fireplace, then put a longer screw in. The cabinet is a little wider than the fireplace and the screw was at a pull all the time without a spacer. Not sure what to do about the trim, maybe find something at one of the lumber centers that may match. Good luck.

jpjulian

We saw nothing amiss until the fireplace was amiss. Don't know if a longer screw will help in the current location. No way a home center can replace the trim.. The question is one screw per side for what one on this board has described as a rolling earthquake?????? As I see it, there should be brackets holding this appliance in place rather than a single screw per side into the trim pieces. This is cheap assembly procedure, anything but quality assembly procedure. We thought we bought quality but I am not at all confident we bought quality. Too many things are coming apart with normal use. We love the floor plan but good God when are things going to quick coming apart or breaking?!?!?!?!?!?!?

JJ

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Try contacting Heartland direct and see what they may (or may not) do for you. At least they might be able to come up with some matching replacement trim and a fix for the lousy install.

Niles

It isn't suppose to be screwed into the trim, ours was into the frame of the cabinet. That might be why it broke out. The factory is a good option to replace the existing molding. Their very helpful in most matters. Good luck.

HappyKayakers

I just had our fireplace out last week to run some new cable. Besides the 2 screws on the sides, there were also 2 screws attaching the bottom of the fireplace to a brace underneath (to keep the heat off the carpet). It hasn't budged an inch during any of our travels.
Now the range hood is a different story :eek:

jpjulian

I just had our fireplace out last week to run some new cable. Besides the 2 screws on the sides, there were also 2 screws attaching the bottom of the fireplace to a brace underneath (to keep the heat off the carpet). It hasn't budged an inch during any of our travels.
Now the range hood is a different story :eek:

How did you get your fireplace out of its cabinet? To get ours out we have to remove the front glass to remove the screws securing the fireplace to the cabinet. I can't get to the brackets/screws which hold the front glass because the cabinet obscures them. And as a matter of fact, there is a bracket and screws in the plastic bag with the spare halogen bulb and manual. Can't replace the bulb if we can't get the front glass off. That is some catch 22. As things stand now, we have a wire tent stake hooked around the right foot of the fireplace with a vise-grip plier hopefully holding the unit in place till we get home and to the dealer. As much as we like this RV, I am getting really tired of things breaking, falling apart, "needing adjustment", etc.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
jpjulian, if you look at the front of your fireplace, you should see four little "buttons". These are actually plugs covering screws. You need to remove these plugs and the screws that they hide. Then the front decorative trim will come off an reveal the screws holding the glass. One more thing, as these monster rv's bounce down the road, things break, fall apart and need adjustments. Don't let it get you down. I'ts all part of the game. Good luck on your repair.
Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Think of the RV as a house in an earthquake. It is amazing they even hold together as we bounce down our wonderful roads. Almost always have something that has move or bounced around when we get to our destination. Since getting the Mor/ryde IS it just bounces around less. The power plug on our fireplace will always come out when we travel. One of these days I will get tired of plugging it in and super glue it in place LOL. Just hang in there and enjoy the destination and your time on the road. Remember we won't always have that.

HappyKayakers

How did you get your fireplace out of its cabinet? To get ours out we have to remove the front glass to remove the screws securing the fireplace to the cabinet. I can't get to the brackets/screws which hold the front glass because the cabinet obscures them. And as a matter of fact, there is a bracket and screws in the plastic bag with the spare halogen bulb and manual. Can't replace the bulb if we can't get the front glass off. That is some catch 22. As things stand now, we have a wire tent stake hooked around the right foot of the fireplace with a vise-grip plier hopefully holding the unit in place till we get home and to the dealer. As much as we like this RV, I am getting really tired of things breaking, falling apart, "needing adjustment", etc.

I knew I should've taken pix :D First, pop the brushed aluminum trim off. Then remove one screw at the top center of the glass. That's a bracket holding the glass in. Pry gently at the top of the glass and the whole piece will come out. Remove side screws. Lift the fake logs to remove bottom screws or access light bulbs. That's all that was holding mine in. Be careful not to go too far with it until you unplug.