14,000 Equil-i-zer Hitch for 31QBS

Am I using the correct hitch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m a new owner of a 31QBS purchased from Peco campers in Tucker Georgia. Before purchasing this trailer I did extensive research on the “best” hitch to use with my new trailer. Based on my research I ordered a 1,000 / 10,000 Equil-i-zer brand name hitch. However, when the dealer was installing the hitch on my 2007 Suburban K-1500 they recommended and installed a 1,400 / 14,000 Equil-i-zer hitch instead. The reason given for the change was that the rear-end on the Suburban was a little soft and the 1,400 / 14,000 pound hitch would provide better / more leveling options.
This is my first travel trailer but the trailer appears to ride level and it also feels fine behind the Suburban. My first camping trip was only fifteen miles round trip from the dealer to Stone Mountain and back. I did experience a brief moment when I felt the trailer sway and push the rear-end of the Suburban. I didn’t experience any issues getting the hitch of and on.
Based on what I’ve read, using such a heavy weight hitch on this trailer seems to go against all of the general recommendations. Am I doing the right thing by using this hitch? Are there any risks with using this hitch? I should also mention that the dealer did not charge me anything extra for the larger hitch.

irvin56

Just make sure your unit is leveled

And a sway control. if equalizer does not have it built in to unit

have fun. we own one and enjoy it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
David, I think either hitch would have been fine. The biggest concern would be the set-up of the hitch. As long as the tow vehicle/trailer combination is reasonably level you should be fine. As irvin56 said, anti sway is a good thing. Some trailers with heavier tongue weights may need 2 anti-sway units. I'm not too familiar with anti-sway hitches. I've had round bar hitches and had the add on friction type anti-sway bars on our old TT.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
The dealer gave you good advice based on the size of the trailer and the suspension on your tow vehicle.

I agree with Sean and I also know and trust the people at PECO: They will not sell or install something they feel (In their experience) you do not need!

Have fun with your new RV!!!!

Thank you all for your feedback.
Rockerga, thank you for your service to our country.
Please don’t get the wrong idea. The people over at Peco are wonderful. This is actually the second camper I’ve purchased from them. The first was a Fleetwood Utah pop-up. It’s just that I’m hauling precious cargo; three young kids, my wife, the family dog, and occasionally the mother-in-law. This is my first time towing a travel trailer and I’d be remiss in my duties if I didn’t get all the facts.

I have a 310QBS too!

I have a 310QBS and use the 10k Equalizer hitch. I have never experienced any problems with sway either in the smoky mountains or windy days. This trailer pulls extremely well, even a 65mph.

Your equalizer does not need a sway control added. Its designed into the system already. I would first contact Equalizer for advise. My guess is that you need to readjust it. Find level ground and start over with measurements. the correct measurements make a world of difference.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I do not pull nor have I ever owned a travel trailer but I do know (from pulling a 22 foot boat and a 16 foot low boy) your tire pressure on the rear tires (even all tires) of the tow vehicle is critical. Do not use what is on the door sticker as that is the not towing inflation and is for the best (softest) ride. Use the maximum cold inflation on the tire sidewall. A tire that is under inflated by as little as 5 pounds can cause you sway. Also be sure to check your pressure when your tires are cold.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
The Equal-i-zer is a wonderful anti-sway/WDH device. If they set it up for you at Peco and you have not altered too much weight distribution in either the TV or NT you should be good to go.

You will know if it is set right or not and I am sure if you have concerns the people at PECO would be glad to have a second check of it for you and also just maybe show you the ropes on it.

With that said you need to read the set-up and owner manuals if they do not to familiarize yourself with the device to know how to make adjustments/repairs should the time come.

Soon after initially having mine all set-up perfectly by PECO I changed TV soon afterwards and learned myself. You will need specific LARGE size sockets and a large breaker bar/socket wrench not normally carried!!!

Get some extra washers also......None

And thank you sir, it is MY PLEASURE to have served!

Last edited:

HRAI

A larger than required WDH is not a problem as you can always dial down the tension on the torsion bars. But too small a WDH will cause problems similar to not having any WDH. I would rather have larger than required WDH as it gives you more flexibility. You could almost crank it so hard that your rear wheels won't even touch the ground! - Though that is not recomended! A properly set up WDH is a pleasure to drive. It pulls better than any fifth wheel any day... I know, I have had both. I currently have a fifth wheel, so there is no bias on my part.

Guy

mjames19

David,

I'm very interested in your experience. I'm picking up a 31QBS next week and will be towing with a 2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 4.10 axle.
I spoke with the folks at Equalizer yesterday.
I'm making some assumptions but the TT tongue weight is less than 1000 lbs. I was looking at going with a 12K equalizer. He mentioned something to the effect that it is generally acceptable to go one size up (i.e. 1000/10000 to 1200/12000) with no problem. The only issue that he had heard of with going two steps up is that some people complain that the ride is rougher.
In any case, your dealer probably fit you correctly for your setup....