OK<the plastic taste in water and ice....

GETnBYE

I know there are threads on the plastic taste in the water lines that I have read. But, I bought ice and put it in the freezer and still got the taste. Now, I know that it's in the lines because I taste it in coffee and brushing teeth. I don't have an ice maker so there must be something with the plastic that the fridge is made of. Anyone else have this problem. I had to put ice in ziplock bags, and 1 or 2 ziplocs didn't work, had to use three. Then went to a tupperware container. This is a pain. I am hoping for someone to tell me it will go away soon.

lhetsler

Plastic taste

This is strange. I have never heard this before. I have an icemaker and use filter on the water line and the ice is fine. But you are saying you use ice trays and have a plastic taste. I would certainly think this would go away after use for a few months.

cjbearden

Visitor
We had the same problem in our original fridge and in the replacement fridge. We kept running water through the door as often as we could and dumped ice as soon as the bin filled. Finally we used two Arm and Hammer fridge deodorizers in the freezer and the smell/taste eventually left after a few weeks.

Carolyn

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Same in both of my trailers but mine had ice makers. It will go away and will only be a bad memory. Can't say for sure how long it will take but one day it will dawn on you that the bad taste is gone. It won't be months but like CJ said it may take a few weeks

Don

GETnBYE

Well, that is good news. I need some good news. We have had a run of icky luck. Still waiting for repairs to start from our hail damage. I am due some time on easy street. THANKS EVERYONE.

cjbearden

Visitor
Another thought. The ice bin provided really smelled of plastic for us. I washed that puppy in hot soapy water several times to help get the stink out. I even washed out the whole freezer area with baking soda and water, then dried it and restarted the fridge.

Hart

Try "Taste Pure" it is a liquid water treatment that you can put into tank if you are using from freshwater tank. For city water connection, try a Taste Pure filter that attaches inline hose.

Last edited:
B

brickman

I ran a solution of viniger & water through my entire system, including fresh water (use a garden hose type canister, scotts or so). Also warsh down everything plastic. It makes everything taste like---------salid.

GETnBYE

I am using an older used ice bin. Purchased ice (no ice maker)which tastes fine until kept in the freezer. I have cleaned the freezer, but I guess I will clean it several more times with baking soda and vin.
But, it seems that the smell/taste could be coming from some plastic in the back that the fan blows into the fridge.

Jimmyt5

But, it seems that the smell/taste could be coming from some plastic in the back that the fan blows into the fridge.[/quote]

I don't think you have fan blowing in.

GETnBYE

Thanks to all who were nice enough to give me some advice. I appreciate the kind responses.

Kelly

We have a 09 Heartland North Country, that we purchased last Oct. Used it only once, & winterized it. Dewinterized it this spring, & flushed out the pipes, the water has had a terrible rubbery/plastic taste ever since & after my wife used it to brush her teeth, her lips appeared to have a chemical burn of some type! Have had to start buying bottled water. We recently took the camper back out and forgetting what had happened, she started to use the water for brushing her teeth, the same thing happened! Has anyone else had this problem with their water? Could it possibly be something that the pipes are made with? Someone even suggested that maybe there could be latex in the pipes.

Bobby A

We have a 09 Heartland North Country, that we purchased last Oct. Used it only once, & winterized it. Dewinterized it this spring, & flushed out the pipes, the water has had a terrible rubbery/plastic taste ever since & after my wife used it to brush her teeth, her lips appeared to have a chemical burn of some type! Have had to start buying bottled water. We recently took the camper back out and forgetting what had happened, she started to use the water for brushing her teeth, the same thing happened! Has anyone else had this problem with their water? Could it possibly be something that the pipes are made with? Someone even suggested that maybe there could be latex in the pipes.
I clean/sanitize my lines with bleach and water once or twice a year, never had a problem.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
What type of hose are you using to supply the water? Is it white? The white hoses are for potable water where the colored hoses are for other uses. The whites hoses are not supposed to give you the garden hose taste although I got a new one the other day and it gave a terrible rubbery taste. Also, be sure to flush your lines out very good. And I hope you used RV anti-freeze to winterize and not regular anti-freeze.