New Heartland Owners

Hello everyoneNone

My wife and I just purchased a 2010 North Trail TT (Ultra Lite) 31RED and we will be towing it with a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn, 3.9L V-8, 4x2, crew cab with the 1:3.62 rear end.

We took it out for it's maiden voyage a couple of weeks ago and we love it. We stopped at a CAT weight scale (truck stop) and weighed the entire rig - truck, trailer, 1/3 tank fresh water (grey and black had been dumped), 2 propane bottles, dual batteries, her, me and the dog.

Total weight was 12,200 lbs.

Am I overweight? Can I haul this trailer and not damage the truck?

Please, I know this is a typical question for a newbie, so please, be patient.

I've tried figuring out the GCVWR but everywhere I go, I get different answers, none of which makes any sense.

Thanks.

jimtoo

Hi Jim and Carolyn,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and the Owners Family. You will find lots of really great people here with lots of information.

I can't help you with the weights, but there are some here that will. They will want to know all the information on the tag on you truck door, GVWR and all that stuff.

Again welcome to the Heartland Forum and Family. And think about joining the Owners Club.

Jim M

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Hello everyoneNone

My wife and I just purchased a 2010 North Trail TT (Ultra Lite) 31RED and we will be towing it with a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn, 3.9L V-8, 4x2, crew cab with the 1:3.62 rear end.

We took it out for it's maiden voyage a couple of weeks ago and we love it. We stopped at a CAT weight scale (truck stop) and weighed the entire rig - truck, trailer, 1/3 tank fresh water (grey and black had been dumped), 2 propane bottles, dual batteries, her, me and the dog.

Total weight was 12,200 lbs.

Am I overweight? Can I haul this trailer and not damage the truck?

Please, I know this is a typical question for a newbie, so please, be patient.

I've tried figuring out the GCVWR but everywhere I go, I get different answers, none of which makes any sense.

Thanks.

Welcome to the club!
http://www.trailerboats.com/images/elements/1323397_2008 tow ratings.pdf

Check this link for your tow rating. Are you sure you have a 3.9 V-8???

irvin56

Welcome aboard

now your numbers don't really work out with the chart that Southernnights posted.

the 3.9?? maybe a v6. a 4.7 /v8 ???

Now I own a N.T. 31QBS I am loaded to camp at 12,600.
I have a 2000 ext cab silverado. 4.8 liter, 3.73 gears.
I am maxed out.
now I also got different numbers from whoever I asked from 7,000 max trailer. I was told take gvwr of truck and add 7,000 trailer /???
If that was right I'd be happier

I e-mailed GMC Canada, gave them my V.I.N from truck.
within 3 buisness days I had my ACUALL total combined gross vehicle weight rating.
I was upset that I did not do my homework before and ask GMC. I was left with my truck maxed out for my trailer

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Welcome aboard!!!! Have fun with your new home away from home:)!

That "3.9" has to be a "4.8" or something closer to that and that is still a 6 cyl. You should be looking at a 5.something to be typically in 8 cyl territory. You need to check that!!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Take another look at your engine and rear axle. In the chart given, there is no 3:62 axle and the 3.7L engine is a V-6. The maximum trailer weight for that engine is only 3800 lbs. Your 31RED has a DRY weight of 5434 lbs, so you'd be way overweight just leaving the dealership. Now, if you actually have the 4.7L V-8, and a 3:92 axle, you're good up to 7650 lbs. according to the chart.

If you've been pulling your TT around with no problems and it doesn't sound like the engine is straining and no smoke pouring from underneath, you probably have your vehicle specs. wrong. If not...good luck!

HI Newbies!

According to the www.dodge.com website. Your engine is probably a 3.7L V6, not a V8. Your axle ratio appears to be 3.92. Based on this info, your max trailer is only 3800 lbs. Your trailer almost double that weight loaded.
Those numbers are based on a standard cab with 2WD. Download the chart from Dodge and you will see the numbers go down from there.

The best thing to do is check the engine code from your VIN number on the dash or registration. If your code is K, then you have the 3.7 V6, Code N is the 4.7 V8, Code D is the 5.7 Hemi.

If you have trouble call your nearest dealer with the vin and they will tell you. Based on the info from Dodge, you either well over with the 3.7L or at the limit with 4.7L. I think your RV salesperson owes you lunch!

JohnDar

Not trying to start anything, just get these folks to the right info. This is the link for the specs.
http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2009/docs/dr/mlup1500.pdf

And there is no 3:62 axle shown there, either. With the 3.7L V-6, the fact remains that 3800 lbs. is the maximum trailer weight. For the 4.7L V-8, with 17" tires and the 3:92 axle, they show 7250 lbs. for the trailer, with the HD cooling package on the truck. That seems "reasonable" since my previous '02 Avalanche (1500 series) had a trailer rating of 7100 lbs, with a 5.3L engine and a 3:73 axle. That pulled our TT (dry wt. 5200 lbs) with no problem.

My mistake. I intended to say that the axle ratio listed was incorrect.
That being said an 80% weight to limit margin what is considered to be safe by the experts. Boating, Trailer Life etc. 80% of 7300 lbs would be around 5840 lbs. Heartland lists the dry weight as 5334 lbs. This does not include propane, water, and gear. (Check the weight sticker inside the cabinet)
A full load of water would add 288 lbs. Propane (including bottles) 60lbs. The total is now 5682 lbs. Now add your gear, food, wood, and spare tire.
Realistically the trailer loaded would be at around 6000lbs. This exceeds the 80% safety margin. The trucks BASE weight is 5000 lbs.The max combined is 12,500 lbs. Add gas, cargo, and gear, and this truck is at its limit. They had the truck and trailer weighed with 1/3 water. The total was at 12,200. This was the maiden voyage. As time by and they add more gear or people, this weight will increase.
On a flat grade it will do fine. But in the Tennessee, Kentucky, GA, or Colorado mountains it will most likely overheat the transmission.
Safety and dependability are most important.

JohnDar

My mistake. I intended to say that the axle ratio listed was incorrect.
That being said an 80% weight to limit margin what is considered to be safe by the experts. Boating, Trailer Life etc. 80% of 7300 lbs would be around 5840 lbs. Heartland lists the dry weight as 5334 lbs. This does not include propane, water, and gear. (Check the weight sticker inside the cabinet)
A full load of water would add 288 lbs. Propane (including bottles) 60lbs. The total is now 5682 lbs. Now add your gear, food, wood, and spare tire.
Realistically the trailer loaded would be at around 6000lbs. This exceeds the 80% safety margin. The trucks BASE weight is 5000 lbs.The max combined is 12,500 lbs. Add gas, cargo, and gear, and this truck is at its limit. They had the truck and trailer weighed with 1/3 water. The total was at 12,200. This was the maiden voyage. As time by and they add more gear or people, this weight will increase.
On a flat grade it will do fine. But in the Tennessee, Kentucky, GA, or Colorado mountains it will most likely overheat the transmission.
Safety and dependability are most important.

I'll agree that they would be OK in the flatlands, but would not take it into the big hills. Not without a auxilliary trans oil cooler. With the TT and Avalanche, I explored doing that, but was told I really didn't need it UNLESS I wanted to pull it into the highlands.

Always get the trans cooler....$150 now will save you $1500 later. I also own a Yukon XL 5.3L / 3.73 combo. Its a great truck. 120K miles and counting. But with a 7200lb trailer limit, it makes no sense to burn it out when I have a 2500HD which is designed to do the job better.

My bad...

:eek: oops!!!

Sorry all but I'm apparently brain dead. I have the 4.7L V-8 with a 3.92 axle rating. I guess that makes a bit if a difference, but probably not a lot.

I checked with my dealer yesterday and was told I could tow up to 8500 lbs.

I seriously doubt I would tow that much, since it would probably put the TT overweight.

But thanks to all of you for your help. :D
Jim

JohnDar

Nope, 7650 lbs. is the maximum for that engine/axle combo according to the charts I posted a link for. That value is for a regular cab, short wheel base. To get into the 8000+ range with your Dodge, you need a 5.7L engine.

tmcran

John is correct according to the ratings I looked at. I'm sure it will pull but you will be putting a lot of stress on engine and tranny.

Right on the moneh

Guys

Thanks for the information. I thought 8500 would be way overweight. In any event, we won't be loading with with nearly that much weight. The TT weighs 5434 (dry) with a GVWR of 6900 lbs. So, without overloading the trailer, I should be well within the Dodge's limits.

Thanks again for all your help.:D

Jim Case

Taken from RV.net

Posted: 06/08/09 10:19pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator I started out pulling my 18' Eco (3800lbs loaded) with my sons 4.3l v-6 silverado and it was no fun at all going up hill into a head wind. I was having trouble keeping the truck at 55mph on some of the hills. I pulled our ATV's and rhino with the truck which weigh 4700lbs w/ the flat bed trailer and the truck pulled this load better than the camper due to the wind resistance of the camper. I broke down and traded my IS250 in on a new 09 Ram w/Hemi!

Posted: 06/08/09 06:44pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator Bob,

Hi, no experience with the Toyota Tacoma, but I have a TT about the same size as the Bigfoot you're looking at. I tow my Palomino Puma (19' box, 4300# empty) with a Dodge Durango with a 4.7L V8. It's a great combination.

I did own an 18' Sunline before this one, also about 5000# fully loaded. We towed with a 98 Jeep Cherokee (4.0L straight 6). The difference I can feel between the Jeep and the Dodge (towing basically the same load) is the "squirreliness" in a cross-wind. The Jeep had a shorter wheelbase and I could feel it moving around more in the wind. Also, the Jeep was lighter and I could feel the brakes working harder to come to a stop, even with trailer brakes.

That Jeep was rated for 5000# and we were right at the limit. I wouldn't hesitate to tow with the combination you are looking at. An equalizer hitch, sway bar and trailer brakes will help quite a bit.

hope this helps-
Brian