New tires and not to soon

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Today I had a new set of Goodyear 614s mounted on my BH3055. The trailer is 2 years old and has about 10,500 miles on it. I had it into a Heartland dealer last month to have the wheel bearings packed. They noticed an issue with one hub and bearing set and there was some wear pattern developing on that tire. Had the hub/bearing issues taken care of and needed to do something about at least one tire. I decided to get a new set of Goodyears. I ask the tire shop manager to examine my Karrier Load Stars when they took them off to see if there was any tire wear pattern developing. When he looked at them he showed me where 2 tires were starting to have the tread seperate. Not sure how long they would have lasted. I have had the trailer weighed and I am not over loaded, I carry a compressor and monitor the tires close. The RV service men did not notice anything with my tires when they had them off a couple of weeks ago. I guess the bottom line is that it takes a trained eye to spot some of these tire problems - get your tires checked at a good tire shop.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Michael, Our trailers came off the line within a few days of each other. Our Karriers had about 12K on them as well before I noticed the bubble. The G614's came the dyt after I put the spare on. I guess I regret not doing the spare. It's never too late but I need to check the capacity of the steel wheel.

NWTFHunter

I also need to crawl under the BH and take the spare wheel off and check it to see if it would handle a Goodyear 614 before I replace it. Might get that done before the Rally next week.

Niles

I was at Mor-Ryde last week and there was a guy that had upgraded his tires and was going to sell his G614's and rims for $350, really wish I bought them. Just wasn't thinking, not that I need them, already have them on, but I know a lot of people that do need them.:)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I was at Mor-Ryde last week and there was a guy that had upgraded his tires and was going to sell his G614's and rims for $350, really wish I bought them. Just wasn't thinking, not that I need them, already have them on, but I know a lot of people that do need them.:)
I wonder what the upgrade from a G614 would be. I thought they were the best we could get.:confused:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Today I had a new set of Goodyear 614s mounted on my BH3055. The trailer is 2 years old and has about 10,500 miles on it. I had it into a Heartland dealer last month to have the wheel bearings packed. They noticed an issue with one hub and bearing set and there was some wear pattern developing on that tire. Had the hub/bearing issues taken care of and needed to do something about at least one tire. I decided to get a new set of Goodyears. I ask the tire shop manager to examine my Karrier Load Stars when they took them off to see if there was any tire wear pattern developing. When he looked at them he showed me where 2 tires were starting to have the tread seperate. Not sure how long they would have lasted. I have had the trailer weighed and I am not over loaded, I carry a compressor and monitor the tires close. The RV service men did not notice anything with my tires when they had them off a couple of weeks ago. I guess the bottom line is that it takes a trained eye to spot some of these tire problems - get your tires checked at a good tire shop.

You did not say if you had one, but if you do not I would suggest getting a tire pressure monitoring system now that you have good tires. We have the Doran TMS and would recommend that or the Pressure Pro TMS.

Niles

Guess I should of said that, Jim's right he went with 17.5's and H rated.:eek:

Last edited:
G614 tires

I questioned Heartland customer service about upgrading my tires on the 3055. My question was , would the wheels handle the additional tire pressure required on the Goodyear G614's.
Their response was the wheels that came with the trailer are not rated for a higher pressure tire.

NWTFHunter

I am not sure what wheels you have on your 3055, mine has the aluminum rims. If you look on the inside of the wheel it is stamped rated for 110 lbs. by the manufacture. That is the max pressure for G rated tires.