PDA

View Full Version : Indicator Panel Problems



flamingknitter
06-03-2009, 10:34 AM
When I was out this weekend - I noticed as I was leaving that the little panel with the indicator lights for tank levels and gas water heater and water pump operation didn't work after I disconnected from shore power. When I started the generator, I had indicator lights again. My slides and front legs worked just fine. I checked the fuses and circuit breakers and all seemed in order. Any ideas?

jbeletti
06-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Hi Marybeth,

You are saying:
- Everything worked fine on shore power
- Everything worked fine under generator power
- Under battery power only, all DC items worked except monitor panel

If I have any of that wrong, please advise.

When you say the slides worked, do you mean with the generator on? Or did they work with the generator off and shore power disconnected too?

Two things that comes to mind:

1. Is your battery may be dead or disconnected?

The reason the monitor panel, which is 12 volt DC powered would work on shore power and generator power is that each method provides 110 colts AC power to the converter. The converter provides DC output to the coach for all DC items and it charges the battery.

Check the battery and the connections to it Marybeth. Be careful.

2. Maybe there is an intermittent DC power connection to your monitor panel.

You'd have to pry off the faceplate on it, then remove the screws from it and pull it off the wall to check.

Good luck,

Jim

jmgratz
06-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Check your battery for a dead cell.

slmayor
06-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Battery came to my mind as well, although we had some intermittant problems with ours because the hole wasn't cut out big enough behind the panel.
Don't let it stop you from coming next week. If you don't have it fixed by then, Ray can look at it when you're here. He's a fair electrician and we have tools and supplies. He's wired several houses and about 6 cars, so I'm pretty sure we can find out what's up.

flamingknitter
06-03-2009, 03:03 PM
I didn't really think it was the battery because I can still use the jacks and slides and when my battery went out last time - those didn't work and my trailer was stuck on my truck but I will check it. At the mini-rally in Oroville, Dave discovered that one of the terminal connections was loose so that will be the first thing I check.

Deb - Don't worry, I WILL be there!!! Everything works when hooked to shore power, I just can't go boondocking. Bought my stuff for the raffle today.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mb
;y

branson4020
06-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Marybeth,

To follow up on Jim B's question, was it ONLY the indicator panel lights that went out? How about 12V interior lighting? Water pump? Fantastic fan? Reefer digital display? I suspect from your last post it was more that just indicator lights because that wouldn't stop you from boondocking.

flamingknitter
06-03-2009, 04:19 PM
As Jim said:

- Everything worked fine on shore power
- Everything worked fine under generator power
- Under battery power only, all DC items worked except monitor panel

Also - the fridge panel doesn't work, thanks for reminding me Bob.

My water pump and gas water heater are on the little monitor and don't work either.

Jacks and slides work with and without shore power.

12 volt lights work with and without shore power.

jmgratz
06-03-2009, 04:58 PM
One way to check to see if it is your battery is to hook up the rv to the truck. If your panel lights work then your house battery is defective. Remember when you are plugged into shore power your 12 volt system works off of the converter. The converter also charges your battery, so when you disconnect from shore power the 12 volt system works off of the battery. So if the battery is defective 12 volt items will not work. If you have a defective cell in your battery it may hold a charge for a short time allowing the lights to come on. I would start by checking the battery. You can buy a hydrometer at Wal-Mart to check the cells for just a few bucks. That will allow you to check for weak or dead cells.

branson4020
06-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Marybeth,

I can't think of any cause that accounts for all your symptoms. I thought it might be a tripped DC circuit breaker, but unless your coach is wired differently than mine, when that circuit breaker trips, everything fed by your 12V fuse panel, including interior lights, goes out. Since the landing gear, slides and other exterior stuff do not go through the fuse panel, they continue to work, assuming your batteries are OK. Do Landmarks have more than one 12V fuse panel? In any case, its simple enough to check the breakers and doesn't cost anything. They will be located close to your batteries. In my coach they're on the wall right under the hydraulic pump. I've attached a picture that might help.

And, as a previous poster mentioned, if it isn't fixed by the time you get to the rally, you'll probably have 10 guys with tool belts swarming all over your rig.

mimipaca
01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
check 12 volt fuses

jimtoo
01-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Hi mimipaca,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share and help if needed.

Just so you'll know, the thread you replied to is about 6 months old. If you look at the top left in the dark blue line on the threads you will see the date of posting. But your suggestion may help someone when they are searching for answers to their problem.

Enjoy the forum and have fun.

Jim M

jimtoo
01-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi mimipaca,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share and help if needed.

Just so you'll know, the thread you replied to is about 6 months old. If you look at the top left in the dark blue line on the threads you will see the date of posting. But your suggestion may help someone when they are searching for answers to their problem.

I thought you were a new member. You have been a member for a long time, jump in here and let us get to know you.

Enjoy the forum and have fun.

Jim M