Sliding Doors

GaryA

We've been on 2 trips with our 2009 31QBS and both times the front and rear bedroom sliding doors have moved or come off the track. The plastic straps and snaps are not strong enough to hold the doors from sliding. I took it to the dealer for a few minor warranty repairs and they told me there's nothing they can do since it is designed that way. I am going to install barrell bolts on the doors to secure them to the floor and keep them from coming off the tracks. I was surprised the front bedroom door did not put a hole in the wall when it flew off the track. It seems like the factory needs to come up with a better way to secure the doors.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
GaryA, there are things that you can do to tighten up the snaps. You can tweek, bend them, to hold tighter. Also, there are two brackets on the top of the door. If the one on the inside of the pocket door is too close to the edge of the door it may be going of the track on the inside. You could try remounting that bracket farther in from the edge of the door. There is also a plastic snap that holds the brackets to the slide. Be sure these are snapped into place. And lastly, these doors are not designed to fall out as you dealer suggests. I think your dealer either doesn't know how to fix stuff, or is just to lazy to look into it. I'm thinking the latter. Maybe both. Just my thoughts. Hope some of these ideas help you out.
Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It might be possible to put a screw in the track which will allow the door to slide okay but not permit it to bounce up. Just a thought.

GaryA

Thanks for all the tips. I have tried tweaking the snaps, but the way they were installed puts too much force in a direction they're not designed to hold. I've also tried making sure the plastic brackets on the top of the door are secured properly before each trip, but I think once the snap breaks loose, the door slides back and forth violently and knocks it off the track anyway. I think I'm going to add a barrel bolt to make it a little more secure. I'll post some pics after I do it.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
It might be possible to put a screw in the track which will allow the door to slide okay but not permit it to bounce up. Just a thought.

I did that on my 3055 and it stopped bouncing off track. I later found out that my dealer uses the same fix.

GaryA

Still haven't installed the barrel bolts cause the ones I bought were too short to reach the floor. Gotta go back to Home Depot or Lowes to find some longer ones.

Nell

There is no two ways about this - it is poor design. I love my 31QBS and I do think it's very well made but this is one tiny thing that I really think could be resolved easily and I am very surprised it still has not been addressed. Everyone with these sliding doors has the same issue from day one. From NORTHTRAILTALK.COM this is RVCAMPER's solution.You then have to remember to always secure the doors back before travel. These sliding doors are just too heavy for the hardware used with them including the snap strap.
Here is our solution:

DoorHookMod.jpg

mo11

Gary,

We have the same problem in our RLS. We use a couple of tension rods to hold the door in place. Seems to work so far.