Interesting "new" device

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Interesting "new" device FOR 04-NEWER GMC'S

I came across this following an online article in Trailer Life. Looks like an alternative to chopping up the factory exhaust system. Since there is no modification to the original vehicle, it probably doesn't upset the warranty apple cart, either. Once you get to the Banks website, look up SpeedBrake on the right side of the screen.

http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/

Last edited:

skyguy

Puhleeze - no offense, but you coulda mentioned this is for 04-later GMC's only! No Ford, Dodge, Toyota, etc....

JohnDar

Puhleeze - no offense, but you coulda mentioned this is for 04-later GMC's only! No Ford, Dodge, Toyota, etc....

Sorry, I didn't know there was anything other than GMC's :D I've changed the heading just for you!
I can almost feel the earth quaking as I type this...

Sundance_kid

Sorry, I didn't know there was anything other than GMC's :D I've changed the heading just for you!
I can almost feel the earth quaking as I type this...

Ah what can you say about either Ford or GM, just be glad you don't own stock in GM, sorry I guess we all do.............:mad:

JohnDar

I think I saw on the website that they were around $1400. Sounds like a lot, but I've priced exhaust brakes online and they're in the same ballpark. For now, I'm in no hurry to get either.

porthole

Retired
The brake requires a PDA (palm and docking kit) to work.
If you already have the Banks tuner with the PDA you can get by for about $870.

I have the Banks tuner and speed brake for about 1.5 months.
I have yet to get the brake to work.

Been working with tech since the first day of the install, and am now ready to pull it out and send back.

When it works it works pretty good, but ................................

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Hey Duane, what is the speed brake not doing? I have it on my 07(new version GMC) and it works good, I am having issues as to how high to set it,

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have the early 04 LB7 so it wouldn't work for me anyway but, what I guess I don't quite understand is what does this speedbrake do that the Allison doesnt?

porthole

Retired
Hey Duane, what is the speed brake not doing? I have it on my 07(new version GMC) and it works good, I am having issues as to how high to set it,

Not doing anything now - I returned it.

Mostly it was causing the trans to jump out of gear, at the most inopportune times. And once caused a serious concern and damage to my trucks rotors (9.5% 3.5 mile hill with no engine /trans to help slow down and no where to pull off :eek:)

I have the early 04 LB7 so it wouldn't work for me anyway but, what I guess I don't quite understand is what does this speedbrake do that the Allison doesnt?

It add turbo vane control to the trans/engine features. When it worked it worked great.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have a feeling driving out west this year will be a learning experience for me. I'm thinking when I see a steep downhill, I might just approach it at a slower speed so I can maintain it easier going down.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hey Ray going up isn't the problem...going down is. LOL Exhaust brakes work. In the lastest issue of RV Handyman there is an article about people who don't know how to use their gearshifts to downshift. Remember even with an automatic you can downshift to slow you down, you just got to be careful not to over-rev your motor and thereby damage your tranny. Second (2 on automatics) work great and the normal drive not overdrive help also.

Rmcgrath53

I have a feeling driving out west this year will be a learning experience for me. I'm thinking when I see a steep downhill, I might just approach it at a slower speed so I can maintain it easier going down.

I will never try a mountain again without an exhaust brake. I was in NC last Easter and got the @@@@ scared out of me. I think it was 441 or 141 and we were heading up when a snow storm came in. On the way we went through a couple tunnels and the rear of my truck started sliding. Then on the way down, those hair pin turns ,and in low gear and my truck kept creeping up to40 mph . I would slamm on the brakes and get it down to 20 mph then repeat the whole prosses again. When we got to the bottom of the mountain they had the road closed off because of the blizzard. And I was scarred to say the least.

Last edited:

jgilbert

Rmcgrath53,

That's the main reason I'm switching to a Dodge 4500 or 5500 from my Ford F350. Lots of people think that the tow/haul is all you need to keep your speed under control coming down a mountain. My one trip down Slumgullion Pass into Lake City, Colorado a couple of years ago towing my 16,000 lb trailer was enough for me to know that I NEED an exhaust brake. :eek: Using tow/haul and transmission braking was NOT enough. There are enough switchbacks and hairpin turns on that 6-7% drop that using your brakes extensively was the only way to slow down. We were smelling burning brakes before we got to the bottom. We bypassed Monarch Pass on the way out of Colorado due to this.

I don't dare add one to my 6.0 PSD for fear of breaking something else and losing the warranty. So I am currently searching for a Laramie cab and chassis that I can put a hauler bed on.

Joe

JohnDar

So, it looks like the bottom line on this device is to save your money (not that I planned to get one, anyways).

porthole

Retired
I think it was 441 or 141

441 - goes north south through the center of the Smokies from Gatlinburg, TN to Cherokee, NC.

Great road but can have it's moments.

The hill I mentioned in my above post is 19 coming from Cherokee into Maggie Valley. 3.5 mile9.5% grade that levels off when you hit the main part of Maggie Valley.

So, it looks like the bottom line on this device is to save your money (not that I planned to get one, anyways).

I am the only person I know that has had this problem (couple of duramax forums). Everyone I have spoke with that has it loves it. And it doesn't cut into anything, just plug and play electrical components.

orkirk

441 - goes north south through the center of the Smokies from Gatlinburg, TN to Cherokee, NC.

Great road but can have it's moments.

The hill I mentioned in my above post is 19 coming from Cherokee into Maggie Valley. 3.5 mile9.5% grade that levels off when you hit the main part of Maggie Valley.

I am the only person I know that has had this problem (couple of duramax forums). Everyone I have spoke with that has it loves it. And it doesn't cut into anything, just plug and play electrical components.

I'm planning on getting the Banks Speed brake for my 2007 1 ton chevy dually soon. Camping World has it w/pda for $1070 w/club discount. Can you install the speed brake with a tuner installed? I have a Hypertech Max Energy installed. I've not heard of anyone else having any problems. If it works right it will help me a lot out West next summer. Thanks for any info on this. orkirk

sgtbigb

Speed Brake

New Dodges do not need a speed brake, already come with the vehicle and it works:D

porthole

Retired
I'm planning on getting the Banks Speed brake for my 2007 1 ton chevy dually soon. Camping World has it w/pda for $1070 w/club discount. Can you install the speed brake with a tuner installed? I have a Hypertech Max Energy installed. I've not heard of anyone else having any problems. If it works right it will help me a lot out West next summer. Thanks for any info on this. orkirk

Tuners - yes.

If you already had the Banks Six gun with the PDA you would not need the PDA.

It is a fairly easy install, hardest part is deciding were to mount the PDA.
Running the wires down to the trans connector requires some finesse and disconnect and adding the jumper at the trans can be a bit of a challenge.

When mine worked it worked great. In fact, without a load (trailer) the brake in it's highest level is actually uncomfortable to drive with and would easily loose traction on damp roads.

There are two modes, normal and cruise (with different levels).

The cruise mode was pretty neat. Set it for 50 mph and that is what the truck did going down a hill - set it for 38 and that is what it did.

I really liked mine when it worked and really really hated it when it didn't.