Front Landing Jack Problem

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
OK Guys - any quick ideas? I'm sitting here at American Heritage Campground in VA with the left front electric jack working and the right front jack not working. Left one goes up and down normally, right one won't move. Possible quick fixes?

I made an appointment with my dealer for Monday, Jun 15, but really hate missing a planned outing the weekend before that.

jnbhobe

Gus, Check the shaft between the jacks or the shear bolt on the shaft. But the motor on the BH is on the right and you said the left one is working,so this may be no help.Good Luck, Jon ps,I'm in Fredricksburg now.

Jim/rsvl/AR

Gus
As Jon replied check the shear bolt on the shaft. I have a Sundance and the motor is on the left side so could be the problem.
Jim

boatto5er

I'm assuming you mean the sheer bolt in the shaft where the leg is. Can you give me a clue on where the sheer bolt is located? I can't see what looks like one anywhere. The square shaft that runs across from the left side to the right side is turning where it goes into the leg shaft. I'm usually pretty mechanically adept, but I'm feeling pretty dumb on this one.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
How about a temporary fix with a bottle jack and some good solid boards? Get it to Goshen and maybe Lippert can repair or at least diagnose and provide parts?

SmokeyBare

Gus,

The Square shaft is attached at each end with a bolt and nut. The bolt hold the square shaft onto the shaft that is attached to the landing leg gear.

If the nut comes off the bolt... the shaft continues rotating until it ends up facing down... where it can fall out of the square shaft... Shazzzam... Only the leg attached to the motor will go down... the other is dead in the water. All it takes is finding a bolt the same length... too long and it will HIT as it spins around. I used a little "Lock Tight" on the threads of the new bolt so it wouldn't fall off again.

Be sure to measure the outer part of the Landing Leg... you may need to adjust the leg up or down... so they are both equal... sticking out the same distance.

Good Luck !!

boatto5er

Dropped the 5er off at the dealer today to look at the landing jack. Looks like we'll be out of commission for a couple of weeks:(.

Jim & Harriet

hi gus,
hope the jack/s problem is fixed quickly and you are back on the road asap. we had good luck with our slide fix - wishing you a speedy recovery!

boatto5er

Picked the Sundance up from the dealer this evening. Complete new landing leg and gear installed. Seems to be working fine. Drove the 70 miles up I-95 in a monster thunderstorm. Truck and trailer tracked like a champ though. Didn't encounter any slips or slides. Looks like we're ready to go again.

Jim & Harriet

glad you are back on the road.

we are at a very small (12 sites) here in fries, va - right by the new river. it is a gem of a place. $32/night for full hook-up, wifi and cable. no pool or video arcade but it is right across from the new river - just beautiful!

take care, safe travels ...

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Glad you are back in the RV mode with your Sundance. Have a great time and safe travels and we will see you soon.

porthole

Retired
glad you are back on the road.

we are at a very small (12 sites) here in fries, va - right by the new river. it is a gem of a place. $32/night for full hook-up, wifi and cable. no pool or video arcade but it is right across from the new river - just beautiful!

take care, safe travels ...

Have some contact info for this location?

Not far off our travel route to the Smoky Mountains. (81)

And it looks like some interesting roads to get there - which direction did you come in from?

cjhicks

Picked the Sundance up from the dealer this evening. Complete new landing leg and gear installed. Seems to be working fine. Drove the 70 miles up I-95 in a monster thunderstorm. Truck and trailer tracked like a champ though. Didn't encounter any slips or slides. Looks like we're ready to go again.
Hey Gus, Glad to hear that you are back on the road agin, just in time for you and Dedra to join us in Maine . We are leaving the Eastern Shore Monday morning and will be on the road for 6 weeks. If you can't make it to Maine ,we will see you in Hatteras!!:):cool:

boatto5er

We're envious, believe me! Can't wait for full-time retirement so we can spend the time on the raod we'd really like to. Have a great trip. We'll see you in Sept.

Gus and Debra