Where to camp in Michigan

jimpav

Hi all !!!
Well, just having picked up our first trailer (35DSRL), and not having camped in Michigan before, we were wondering if we could get any good tips on where to camp in Michigan? Naturally, we would rely on sites experienced in the recent past. We live in Holland, and would prefer sites fairly close to us. It seems the state parks are hard to get into on the fly. Upon joining the H.O.G., we received a free membership to Passport America. We havent' had the chance to check them out yet to see what the benefits are. We received a free membership to Timberlake RV resort, in Mears, and are on the way to check them out shortly. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
PS It doesn't have to be on/near the lake
Jim & Claudia
Holland, Mi

fhollan

U.P Michigan!

We live in Holland, and would prefer sites fairly close to us.
For us, we love it up in the U.P. of Michigan, especially along Lake Superior. When it is hot and humid in Indiana, it's nice and cool along the lake.

bighorn3370

We are on the other side of the state, but we have always had luck going to Oakland County parks. You can't make reservations, but there are usually plenty of sites. The only time there is really ever an availability issue is on holiday weekends. You better arrive early to get a site!

rustyone

If you check out my web site www.shomlercanoes.com and click on the package and discount link you will find many campgrounds just a couple of hours north of you in the Manistee National Forest. Also there is info on what to do in this area. If you are a canoer we would love to introduce you to the Pine River, the best paddlesport river in MI.

jimpav

Thanks for the RV campground review. It seems most of the reviews were from 2008......not much, at least for Mi, in 2009.

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
jimpav If you can, join us at the Heartland owners Upper Pen. Mich rally at Lake shore Campground in St Ignace Mich. The dates are Aug 27-30 2009 Hope to see you there. Contact the campground for the campsite if you plan to attend, also please let me know if your attending Thank you . TRAVELER07 Mich Director

jimpav

Thanks for the info about the UP camping in August. Unfortunately, we will be in NY at that time. We were looking foward to the Sept rally in North Mi, but I see it was cancelled. Has anyone camped there??? I'd like to check it out anyway......sorry, can't remember the location. thanks

I second the Oakland County Parks (Groveland Oaks). Sheriff Deputies patrol on horseback. Private lake. Close to Crossroads Village (Miniature Greenfield Village) and Great Lakes Crossing Mall.
The Mackinaw City KOA is also very nice.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Thanks for the info about the UP camping in August. Unfortunately, we will be in NY at that time. We were looking foward to the Sept rally in North Mi, but I see it was cancelled. Has anyone camped there??? I'd like to check it out anyway......sorry, can't remember the location. thanks

We are currently polling the members of the Michigan Chapter to see if there is enough interest in Poncho's Pond in Ludington for August 26-29, 2010. This is the location that we canceled for September 2009.

If you, and anyone else in the forum that isn't getting the e-mails from me, please send me an e-mail at perrinebatcke@yahoo.com and let me know that you are interested and I will add you to my Michigan Chapter contact list.

Netem

We just spent the last 7 days in Holland state park and there was alot of empty spots. They said the economy has been hard on them. We are now down the road at Oak Grove for a couple of days then home to Mo. We just love the Holland area.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
It seems most of the reviews were from 2008......not much, at least for Mi, in 2009.

Jim.. Don't let the older reviews bother you. I use the RV Park Reviews all the time. Some of the reviews are useless and others are very helpful. There are a lot of parks and not everyone knows how to update the reviews and some just don't care. I have a format that I use to make reviews so that I give decent information about the type of park and its services. If your intrested let me know and I will give you the URL to ones I reviewed...

jimpav If you can, join us at the Heartland owners Upper Pen. Mich rally at Lake shore Campground in St Ignace Mich. TRAVELER07 Mich Director

Traveler
I am at the Tiki RV Park (read the reviews in RV Park Review.. It is Camp Club USA.. Half price) in St Ignace. We just drove by the KOA to see what it looked like. Not a lot of difference in the Tiki.. Think I will go by and see what the Lake Shore Campground is like.

We will be here until Friday. If you happen to be in the neighborhood please come by and see us. We are in site 28. The only Heartland Bighorn in the park. We plan to see the island, go to bear park, and the falls, maybe the Zoo off hwy 2.

BC

hertzberg

We've camped a few times at Hartwick Pines State Park near Grayling. This is a really nice park - one of the few state parks with full hookups. In fact we'll be there the first week of August. Lots of old growth tall pine trees, centrally located about an hour from Macinac or Traverse City area.

talley

After the Heartland Rally we went to Warren Dunes State Park. No trouble getting a site when we arrived on Thursday. As might be expected occupancy picked up Saturday, although we experienced some of the heavy storms passing over during this time. Did get two good days of nice weather. Nice park... water & elec at site dump down road. Camp host is helpful and on Saturday at the beach an enjoyable talk by park personnal, very knowledgable n stars and formations. We chose to visit the Michigan coast to see the sand dunes. Wanted to make comparison with the dunes we have in Texas along Padre Island. Welllll... there is no comparison!!! As a Texan, I had to admit it:eek:.... the dunes in Texas are pikers!! I never expected to see the size of these dunes. Had an great walk on trail thru the woods, into and up the dunes to a great beach. Did not get beyond foot depth in water.... cold for a South Texas boy!! Good size sites for 5iver. Site #92 on corner can drive thru.

Left and went to Monon, Indiana. Can't say much for only RV park there. Been there 35 years, new owner of less than year.... hopefully will make road improvements. BUT, a very nice private railroad museum and restaurant about 3 miles North of town. Has been at location for about 4 years. Private collection, well kept and while I don't know a lot about RR museums... it was very enjoyable and worth a visit if you are nearby and have any interest.

Jerry

Theresau

Our favorite full hook up campgrounds are:

Oak Grove, Holland (beautiful oaks and near the lake)
Cedarville RV, Cedarville (lake front sites)
Lake Lellanau, Lake Lellanau (lake front sites)
Traverse City RV Resort, Traverse City (very high end...)

We also go to Myers Lake which has a honey wagon. There are lake front sites.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Getting into the Michigan state parks is fairly easy if you make reservations during the summer season. Here's the website for doing it; http://www.midnrreservations.com/

We have our 3670 on a seasonal site at the Indian River RV Resort, in Indian River. Look at the map between Burt and Mullett Lakes. Burt Lake State Park is a very nice campground, but it can get filled. We used it for a several seasons with our pop-up and TT. On Mullett Lake, there's Aloha State Park. I have not stayed there but drove through it. It looks very good, too. Both are right on the lakes. From that area, you have easy access to Mackinaw City, Mackinac Island, and the U.P.

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Where to camp in the Upper Peninsula? Munising City Tourist Park. Right on Lake Superior, they now have some FULL HOOK-UPS. Just beautiful...