Trailer Hitch Greasing

reed

Hello everone just want to let you know we picked up our new BH 3055 RL today and tickled to death. My brain is on overload with all the information I was fed today. This is why I have a couple of questions. I have a 16K reese hitch and when stoping fairly quick it sounds like ther is a lot of slack and same when you take off fairly fast. This don't sound right to me but being a newbie I don't know. Also do you grease the hitch anywhere and where. Also where can I find a air compressor for airing tires on the road. I have one other question for this post, dose anyone know the best and quickest way to outgas the rig, can not go any where until done because of DW allergies. Thank everyone in advance.

Jburks

First and foremost congrats on the new rig, I know you be happy with your choice, I use a teflon disc on my kingpin which takes up soome slack (you can get these at most rv supply) I also use a white lithium spray grease that can be picked up at any auto parts store, I didn't have much luck with my protable air compressor that worked off the battery, it kept getting hot. Gosh I just told you everything I know in one post.....:)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
About the only thing I can address it the greasing of the hitch. Get one of the white plastic rings and attach it to the pin box. It works.

SmokeyBare

White Lube plate... or white Fifth Wheel Ring... is the way to go... no grease smeared shoulders as you pass by the hitch... no little fingers spreading the grease all over the place... when they have discovered the stuff... And.... the Price is hard to beat !!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
On occasion our hitch will go clunk especially if we have stopped too quick. All that weight shifting forward will cause that. You get used to it. There is a slight bit of slack in all hitches.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
White Lube plate... or white Fifth Wheel Ring... is the way to go... no grease smeared shoulders as you pass by the hitch... no little fingers spreading the grease all over the place... when they have discovered the stuff... And.... the Price is hard to beat !!

And when you're crawling around in the bed of your TV with the hitch in place, you won't be loading your jeans with grease, either. I think that ring was one of the first accessories I bought for the 5'er.

reed

I do have the teflon disc but still have the slack on take off and stop. Do you just spray the pivot points with white lithium spray.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Use the white teflon ring. Get some spray on white lithium grease for the moving parts of the jaw and handle moving parts. Use it as needed.

You have moving metal parts. They make noise when the move. Your 5th wheel hitch hitch plate should move forward, back and side to side. Not the overall frame just the hitch head. You will hear noise because they have to be loose enough to move without binding.

If your interested listen to others as they go by and some of the travel trailers. They all sound like they pop a lot.

BC

SmokeyBare

Most have the very same shift of the King Pin... as you start or stop.

Mor-Ryde makes a "Pin Box System" that aids with the "Clunk".

Here is what their site states:

Introducing, the MOR/ryde pin box system, a revolutionary new product that redefines what RV’ers can expect from towing a 5th wheel.
  • <LI merakiMarked="true">5th wheel chucking is greatly reduced <LI merakiMarked="true">Cushioned sensation when towing over all road conditions <LI merakiMarked="true">Clunk free towing - no more start/stop harshness
  • Smooth, almost shock free towing in the driver and passenger seats
Fifth wheel owners know about that harsh, jerky, chucking action that comes from towing a fifth wheel. They have come to accept it as a normal part of towing. Fifth wheel owners recognize that some roads will just wear you out from that jerking/chucking action.

Here is a Link to the site:

http://www.morryde.com/php/products/aftermarket/RPB.php

Good Luck with your research.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Reed, I agree with Marv 100% on the Mor/ryde pin box. Ours did the samething on the way home from the dealer. Got on the phone to Tweetys and ordered a mor/ryde pin box. Best money I ever spent. Here is the link to Tweetys. Bob:D
http://www.tweetys.com/

CrazyScotsman

#1 Put the FM onto the station of your choice
#2 Crank the volume up as loud as you can.
#3 Problem solved. No more sound from 5th wheel.

Hope this helps :)
PS. I heard RAP ( can't call it music ) works real well at drowning out any other noice. Just make sure stereo is on full Bass.