converter or battery?

deee2

We just got back from a short trip out, since our batteries were not working. Or was it the converter? How long is the warranty on those things? How do we tell which is the culprit?

Thankssssss

Pulltab

The converter should still give you power to 12v stuff in the rv. If you don't have anything, check the battery for voltage. Possibly your converter is not working and the battery went dead. Check to make sure you don't have any 120v circuits turned off that might be the converter.

The converter should be a 1 year warranty. You really need to verify that the converter has power. I think the circuit should be marked for the converter.

deee2

thanks, pulltab... we have use of everything as long as we're connected to electric, but after it is unhooked, then nothing works.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our converter went out and we found it has a 2 year warranty. Also your converter charges your 12 volt battery. If your converter is out your 12 volt battery will not charge. To find out if your converter is working, first check the 120 volt outlet it is plugged into to see if it is working. If not, then check your circuit breaker. If you have 120 volt at the outlet check the fuses in the converter. If they are blown replace them. If the fuses are good check the output voltage of the converter. The output voltage should be between 12-14 volts. If not then your converter is defective. If your converter is working then suspect the battery. You can take your battery out and take it to be checked or you can buy aa hydrometer to check to see if you have a dead cell. Disconnect the battery and check the voltage. It should be at least 12 volts. If your battery is defective then replace it. If you are camping and you find that your battery is good and your converter is out you can get a inexpensive battery charger, connect it to your battery and get by until you can get your converter replaced. Remember, your lights, thermostat, heater fan, frig controls and several other systems run on 12 volts. If your 12 volts system is defective you can ruin electronic controls with under voltage, so it is important to use the proper voltages. Hope this helps.

Forrest Fetherolf

thanks, pulltab... we have use of everything as long as we're connected to electric, but after it is unhooked, then nothing works.

HI dee2,

Remember those voltage meters I showed you and Steve camping at Terribles in Pahrump..........they will tell you about all you need to know........good job for Steve.

We had a nice visit with you and may stop by your area when we pull to Tacoma, WA later this year.

Forrest

Attachments

• VOLT_METERS002.JPG
    VOLT_METERS002.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 43

deee2

Thanks, JM...... I printed that out for Steve to read.

And YES, Forest, I had already found your post from the past with the pictures of what you did, and Steve remembered, too. We enjoyed meeting and visiting with you and Karen, so you BET we'd love to see you when you pass this way!

Hopefully, we'll BE here!

We did take the batteries in to be 'officially' checked at Auto Zone, and they're FINE. So Monday we'll call Heartland since we bought our Bighorn last year on June 30th! Still under warranty! Whew.

Pulltab

Hmmmm, suspicious, with power on you have use and power off no use but batteries are charged. Has to be a connection between the batteries and the rv. First check that the cables are crimped properly. Then follow the cable to the next connection and check that it is crimped right. I am assuming you do not have a battery cut off switch.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Yep...had our breaker trip and took hours to find it on our Holiday Rambler. Was close to the batteries at a connection point...it was just a tiny little red button...Good Luck!

SPY9

Hi: I am the other half of dee2 (not the good looking one). Here is where I'm at this point. Took batteries to Auto Zone and had them tested. Batteries were good but voltage was low. Reading 10.88 volts. Checked AC outlet that converter plugs into and got a reading of 120 volts. Next checked the converter DC output and got a reading of 13.5 volts. So converter is good. Checked all the fuses on the DC distribution panel and found no blown fuses. Pulled the DC distribution panel to access the connections. Found the positive and negative wires not tightened. So tightened the wires, put the batteries back in and plugged into shore power. Hopefully the converter will do its job and recharge the batteries. Looks like it will take 3 days according to Inteli owners manual. Then I will unplug shore power and see if I have 12V battery power. If not I will be back to see if anyone has anymore ideas. My Heartland warranty runs out on 6/30/2009. Thank you for all your help.

Steve and Donna (dee2)

Pulltab

Like someone else said check the circuit breaker, This is at the wall where your main power from the battery is distributed. There is usually a red rubber cover over the connections, seems to me the cover has 2 buttons molded in it. Underneath that is a circuit breaker. Push the button.

Actually before you do that check the battery for voltage while the inverter is on and you should see at least 13volts going into the battery to recharge it. If the voltage is still 10 look for the circuit breaker. You don't need to wait 3 days, you should see the battery charging soon as you hook it up! :)

branson4020

Icantre Member
Here is picture of the circuit breakers I posted in another thread. Pulltab is right on. If your not seeing 13.6V or more at the battery terminals right now, it's almost certainly the breaker. //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4169&d=1244069659

deee2

thank you EVERYONE... and branson, a picture is worth 1000 words! Steve says he must be thick headed, because he didn't 'see' it until that picture. Thanks ..... it's FIXED!! :)