Trailer:
2009 31QBS North Trail (Heartland) - 33.5 ft long
GVRW: 6900 lbs
Hitch: 675 lbs

Weight Distribution Hitch - Reese
Hitch Number 54790 at 12,000 lbs
Tongue Weight 1200/1000 lbs
V-5 Bars: Max Hitch Weight 600lbs, Trailer 10000lbs

Actual Weights (Without 350 lbs of Water)
Truck:7500 lbs
Trailer: 5400 lbs
Total: 12,900 lbs
Tongue: 900 lbs

I am really concerned that I am exceeding the trailer and weight distribution bars maximum ratings.

1. When I weighed the tongue it was 900 lbs without water and the wife/kids, the hitch weight for the trailer indicates 675 lbs and the bars 600 lbs. Will the weight distribution system compensate for this? Should I empty the trailer and get an empty tongue weight? The trailer was not quite level when I weighed the tongue, how much would this affect the weight?
2. What is the difference between hitch and tongue weight?
3. How much hitch/tongue weight is distributed to the trailer axles?

The trailer pulls fine at highway speeds and no problems with sway.
Thanks,

Keith

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
I don't see an issue but due to being a TT you do need to set-up properly and use the WDH/Anti-sway device always in my opinion. You need to "Level" the TT in the proper set-up of the WDH device.

Hitch and tongue weight are the same.

What engine/transmission/rear axle set-up does that truck have and just for giggles how many miles on it?

HRAI

Keith - See my answers below...

1. When I weighed the tongue it was 900 lbs without water and the wife/kids, the hitch weight for the trailer indicates 675 lbs and the bars 600 lbs. Will the weight distribution system compensate for this? Should I empty the trailer and get an empty tongue weight? The trailer was not quite level when I weighed the tongue, how much would this affect the weight?

Weighing the trailer tongue without it being quite level should not affect the weight that much (negligeable).

2. What is the difference between hitch and tongue weight?

They are one and the same.

3. How much hitch/tongue weight is distributed to the trailer axles?

Only a scale can answer that question. There is no other way to know.

That being said, you seem concerned with the weight ratings of your WDH versus your actual weights. Having a WDH which is too small will not cause problems. It may not help as much as a properly sized WDH system, but it will help nonetheless. The best way to determine that your set up is properly matched and adjuxted is to measure the amount of drop at the front and rear of the vehicle when you lower the trailer on the hitch.

Naturally, if you just put the trailer on the hitch, only the rear of the vehicle will drop. But if you have your WDH set up right, both front and back of your vehicle will drop the same height when the trailer is hitched.

If your WDH is too small, you will likely be torquing your torsion bars to their max and still be unable to have the front of your vehicle drop as much as the back.

On the reverse scenario, you can use a WDH which is overrated for your situation with no problems. You just wouldn't need to crank your torsion bars as tight.

Hope this helps, now I need to give my fingers a break :)

Guy

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Exactly as Guy said: With your WDH set-up "properly" the front and rear of your TV will dip exactly the same. So measure the height of both before you attach the TT with the WDH and then measure again after. If it takes a few times to get it right trust me it is worth it!