Bedroom A/C installation 13500 BTU

Northern Virginia
I decided to go ahead and put a second a/c unit in our Landmark. I searched through the forums here and decided on a 13500 BTU carrier low profile. I found a new one on Ebay for $569 and also ordered the heat strip option for $49.

I installed the unit today and wanted to relay a couple of problems I had for anyone else that installs their own.

The hardest part was removing all the caulking and sealant from under the old bedroom fan trim. That took a couple hours.

I followed Jimmyt5's suggestion and leaned an extension ladder against the Landmark and pulled the A/C unit up the ladder rails on a rope. That worked great!

When I tried to install the inside mounting plate to the roof unit, I realized the 6 inch bolts that came with the Carrier were too short. (They provide shorter bolts but not longer ones). Also, the nuts on the forward side of the roof unit that the long bolts would thread into appeared to be missing.

I called the store I bought the A/C unit from and the service tech suggested that I use 5/16 all thread with nuts and washers since the Landmark's roof is 6 inches thick. He also explained that the missing nuts (actually a long metal bar with nuts embedded in it) had probably come loose during shipping. I went thru the box and packing material and sure enough, I found it.

I had to remove the plastic shroud from the roof unit and then remove the front plastic dome. On the top of the dome there is one silver screw on a black plastic cover (the start capacitor cover). After lifting the dome up, the bar fits in. nuts up and align the holes.

All this will make sense if anyone ever has the same problem.

Over all, it took about five hours and a trip to Lowes for the all thread.

The unit works great.

John

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
It's great to be handy and do it yourself, and save a few hundred dollars in the long run. I know one thing if I think I can do it, I always give it a go. congratulations!